Notices

Alcoholism vs. Food Allergies?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Alcoholism vs. Food Allergies?

(Warning: non of us are doctors here. I am asking for opinions and personal experiences)

May have posted something like this some months ago, but I was doing some reading over the last few days on food intolerance and allergies, specifically to gluten.

As most of us know, liquor simply wreaks havoc on our minds and bodies, especially when consumed over a period of years. In particular, it destroys our digestive tract, keeping us from properly digesting food. Our gut bacteria is often messed up or simply non-existent after years of alcoholism.

So basically, has anyone ever suffered a food allergy (wheat, dairy, etc) and once they sobered up and allowed their bodies to heal, found they no longer suffered from that allergy?

Discuss.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There would be no way to link the cessation of drinking to the end of allergies Steve. And even though you are asking for "personal experience and opinions" it borders on Medical advice which is not allowed here in the forums.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do a thorough search on Candida/hypoglycemia/alcohol/fungal infection).

(my toenails are comin' back!)
Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I certainly have less indigestion and feel healthier since I quit drinking.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

A lot of physical problems I had while drinking have disappeared. My doctor always remarks about how much healthier I am since I quit drinking. Just one of the amazing benefits of living sober.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

Yeah, I actually healed my IBS-D (which was seemingly triggered by dairy and grains) multiple times. Drinking affects gut permeability, which is what people like Dr. Axe (not sure if you're a fan) call Leaky Gut Syndrome. The problem with gluten and casein is that you can almost re-infect yourself with or without the alcoholism returning (or so they claim). So really, you should be able to tolerate some degree of these poinsons (sans alcohol), but if it's all you eat you're bound to end up with some systemic issues.

There are actually some scholarly articles on this, Google Scholar is your friend here. Don't forget about Pyroluria in addition to Candida - both seem to affect alcoholics on a pretty large scale.

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Do a thorough search on Candida/hypoglycemia/alcohol/fungal infection).

(my toenails are comin' back!)
Can verify this 100% (that it should be googled, and does appear to exist despite the controversy arising from the medical community). My massive toenail infection is clearing up as well, pretty crazy that you wrote that.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great info here!! Speaking of toenails ---- can you tell me about it? I have the same thing going on and I'm sure it's candida related/drinking related. I have stopped drinking, but no real improvement yet. Sorry if this is a gross topic.

Also Steve, I go to a holistic doctor and he fully believes that my drinking contributed to my candida, which contributes to my drinking or cravings. Which makes total sense to me.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seems scientifically possible
Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have allergies to dust and pet hair but they have been way better since I quit drinking. Apparently, there are histamines in beer which was what I drank. I used to be congested all the time and I was eating antihistamines like they were candies, now I only need one a day, if that, sometimes days can go by without needing one. Just another item on the long list of benefits of not drinking!
Old 06-11-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do not think that is asking for medical advice.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would look into the way modern food is processed. We could all do better with naturally raised and grown food. Check out documentaries like "Food Inc" for reference. The more you are educated you will have more tools to draw on.