Notices

3 Days - Urges

Old 06-06-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days - Urges

Hi chaps,

On the third day. Urges are pretty bad. So I'm eating a load of chicken, drinking some coffee and will chow down on some ice cream later! And posting on here of course. I hope I won't annoy everyone too much, but my plan is this: Whenever I get the urge, I'll try and post or reply on here.

How do you avoid the urges? Do they get easier with time?

Cooper
Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 3 days Cooper. Coming here is definitely a good thing in the early days, being around others who have been through withdrawals before can be invaluable. I pretty much lived here during my early days! Getting a little exercise is another good distraction - even just taking a walk. You can also start working on a recovery plan which will require attention, concentration and work to keep your mind off drinking.

And yes, things will get better. Day 3 is still quite early in the detox process and you could still be going through physical withdrawals.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't really avoid the urges, they are going to happen. But you get through them just like you are doing. Eat, stay busy, post here, whatever is necessary. You don't have to cave to those urges, they are just that....urges. Yes they get much better with time. Congrats and keep going.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Cooper! Definitely not annoyed; your post helps me reflect. In terms of urges... I wish I could give you a way to eliminate them in one go. This urge is the reason I keep working my program and moving in my plan. It is a lifetime commitment, and everyone in my life knows that. It's not easy to admit. But it's me and my life and the lifestyle I now have. It can be yours too!

Try taking stock of when and why you feel these urges. For me, I just wanted to drink for drinking's sake. It's different for everyone. But there is a way to get past it.

Thank you for posting​ i feel better now that I've shared with you. Pay it forward !
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there! Early on it is really hard. But they DO get better with time. I hardly ever have urges now and when I do, they are not nearly as strong as they were in the beginning. Walking, jogging, the gym, ice cream, any activity to take your mind off it! Early on I sometimes put myself to bed at 3pm because I was so worn out from fighting the cravings all day long. Stick with this, it gets better and you will some day have a life you never dreamed of!
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great ideas here CooperTemple

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 06-06-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eating definitely helps. Stay busy. Sleep well, drink lots of water. Exercise. Read everything you can about alcoholism and it's deadly effects on your body and mind. It's a disease. Treat it as such.
Glad you're here man...