Notices

Well im here

Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well im here

It has taken a lot for me to admit i have a problem. Im supposedly a functioning alcoholic, whatever that means. I would wake up and count the hrs til my next socially acceptable drink. And if i didnt like the answer. Id drink.

I have a wife who loves me, and close family too. I dont know why im the way i am. I just am.

Im 21 days sober. Through focus and support im battling this **** with all i can muster

anyway. Hi. Im paul. Im an alcoholic.

But... im trying to keep it in check
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jarramackem View Post
I would wake up and count the hrs til my next socially acceptable drink.
I have never hear that before.

If I ever had to wait until my drinking was socially accepted I probably wouldn't be an alcoholic!!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good for you
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMHO, I don't think alcoholism is suppose to make sense. It just is. I think all of the great things we have in our lives such as family, friends or a great job are totally seperate (sp?) from our drinking problem. A person can have a great life but still have drinking problem. Unfortunately, drinking will eventually affect that great life. Accepting that fact and coming up with a plan to deal with it is the only thing people like us can do. Wondering why you drink since you have so much going for you is missing the point. One has nothing to do with the other if that makes sense. Trying to figure out why you have a drinking problem is just a waste of time. Putting that energy into dealing with it is much more productive. Good luck. John
Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Soberado

Hi Jarramackem,

This is a good place---I've been trolling this site for awhile before I made the decision to quit five weeks ago and joined too.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I feel everyone is on their own journey with it.

Just helps knowing you arent alone
Old 05-30-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jarramackem View Post
It has taken a lot for me to admit i have a problem. Im supposedly a functioning alcoholic, whatever that means. I would wake up and count the hrs til my next socially acceptable drink. And if i didnt like the answer. Id drink.

I have a wife who loves me, and close family too. I dont know why im the way i am. I just am.

Im 21 days sober. Through focus and support im battling this **** with all i can muster

anyway. Hi. Im paul. Im an alcoholic.

But... im trying to keep it in check
Great job Paul.

I am much the same, great job, wife, family & life. But I can feel the bottle taking over, making me less interested in anything else.

I am on day 9 and would love to keep drinking but I cannot (WILL NOT) allow it to control me!

Stay the course my friend, life is better without booze!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Paul! It's wonderful to have you with us. This is an encouraging & friendly place with people who care.

Congrats on your 21 days - we know how hard it is. Lean on us during the rough times -we will get through this.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jarramackem!

You can do this. I currently have 130 days having struggled to get more than a few days here and there for 20-odd years. Things get so much better if you can get a few weeks, then months in sober. I honestly thought I would be "battling" the urge to drink every day of my life, but the worst of that goes away as time passes. Amazingly, I now recognize that having to give up alcohol isn't really that bigger sacrifice for health and happiness (not something I could even imagine thinking 4 months ago).

For me the most useful thing has been sticking close to SR to remind myself every day of the hell that was active addiction to alcohol. Joining your monthly support thread is good too. I find it useful to interact with others on the same recovery timeline as me.

I also learned the basics of AVRT (see Secular Connections forum). The basic idea is to recognize that you are addicted to alcohol as recognize that the urge to drink is a physical and psychological symptom of that addiction. You recognize any thoughts of drinking as your Addictive Voice (AV) speaking, which is separate from your rational self. That way it is much easier to dismiss thoughts of drinking as "just my addiction speaking" and move on.

Remember: You are not powerless before your addiction at all. That is a lie that your addiction wants you to believe. You have the power to not drink ever again.

Congrats on three weeks!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jarr,

21 days is a long time for a drunk to be sober...now the anxiety kicks in.

If you feel like you are going to drink..for good...bad...don't care...that is when the real battle begins.

AA meetings are set up to help with the crave times. Highly recommend going there..if this place isn't getting it done...before you decide to relapse.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrMcTell View Post

Congrats on three weeks!
Thanks..im thinking of mine as my dark passenger ala Dexter
Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul and congrats on 3 weeks. Sobriety isn't about not drinking. Find a recovery plan and work it. You'll find that your life is much better sober. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Paul

D
Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad your here man. Just don't drink Paul. Take alcoholism for what it is. A disease.
Continue drinking and the disease wins. It's that simple.
Hi, I'm Wayne.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul.
SR works if you put in the work.