Notices

Will alcohol abuse ruin your life?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There is a lot of wisdom on this thread.

I work on not drinking, one day at a time, by spending a lot of time with God in the morning and by trying to work the 12 steps and practice the principles of AA all day long.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

10 years of drinking and over 30 hospitalizations for withdrawal / intoxication, countless detox visits later... yes, alcohol abuse has ruined my life. To be honest, **** alcohol, but I know there are people that can drink normally. I am most certainly not one of them.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
How interesting that you chose the name "Analog" when the solution to your problem is binary.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
You scientific/engineer types are funny.

I don't even know what analogue or binary mean.

But I suspect they help me listen to a lot of good music.

My wife and I are English majors and we wind up calling Comcast every time the remote control's batteries go bad.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're medically unfit to drive. Having your license suspended is not "unfair", it's exactly the same as someone who has diminished vision in one eye or has a seizure disorder and gives up their license. If you're drinking so much that your liver enzymes have gone screwy, you're a danger to everyone else on the road.

Fortunately you can do something about it - if you stay sober and get a better medical report, you can get your license back.

I may sound harsh about this, but my alcoholic ex has tried to drive drunk with our daughter in the car (and has probably actually done so on several occasions). He insists he has only driven drunk "a few times", and he will never do it again, but this is difficult to believe. I wish he would lose his license until he sobers up for real - as it stands, other drivers and pedestrians are at risk from his addiction because he has no ability to judge whether or not he should be driving (although he thinks he does).
Old 06-07-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"You're medically unfit to drive. Having your license suspended is not "unfair", it's exactly the same as someone who has diminished vision in one eye or has a seizure disorder and gives up their license. If you're drinking so much that your liver enzymes have gone screwy, you're a danger to everyone else on the road. "

With all respect Sasha1972, what has high liver enzymes got to do with sight issues or seizures? How can my liver enzymes cause driving issues? They can also be caused by poor diet or neglect. Not all that have a high liver enzyme count are drunk on the road. If I had liver cancer with a high enzyme count should I be not allowed to drive? I'd like you to tell me. I'm sincerely asking.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Analog71 View Post

"You're medically unfit to drive. Having your license suspended is not "unfair", it's exactly the same as someone who has diminished vision in one eye or has a seizure disorder and gives up their license. If you're drinking so much that your liver enzymes have gone screwy, you're a danger to everyone else on the road. "

With all respect Sasha1972, what has high liver enzymes got to do with sight issues or seizures? How can my liver enzymes cause driving issues? They can also be caused by poor diet or neglect. Not all that have a high liver enzyme count are drunk on the road. If I had liver cancer with a high enzyme count should I be not allowed to drive? I'd like you to tell me. I'm sincerely asking.
I would suspect that your license has been suspended because of the alcohol level that is commonly your blood, not your enzyme levels. If you are drinking as much as you say, you are a danger to others, not to mention yourself. And it really doesn't matter if you've driven drunk or not, if you are drunk that often the potential is there. It might not seem fair, but rules are in place to protect others from potential harm.

How did the appointment with your counselor go last week?

I'd also remind you that our forums are for sobriety support, not for personal arguments.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
To be honest, **** alcohol, but I know there are people that can drink normally. I am most certainly not one of them.
ditto.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How are you analog?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is day 7! I quit June 15. The first 4 days were unbearably rough. But now, I feel normal. Sleeping normal again. I am actually afraid of alcohol these days - if that makes any sense at all, after the withdrawal days. I wonder if anyone else feels that way?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Good start on 7 days!

I was very afraid of alcohol for a long time, but that fear eventually does leave.

Having and working a good recovery plan helped me continue to stay sober when that fear was no longer there. Without that, just not drinking and trying to do it on my own never worked for me because eventually I would think it was okay to drink again.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Analog71 View Post
Today is day 7! I quit June 15. The first 4 days were unbearably rough. But now, I feel normal. Sleeping normal again. I am actually afraid of alcohol these days - if that makes any sense at all, after the withdrawal days. I wonder if anyone else feels that way?
When I quit, just the thought of drinking alcohol practically gave me a panic attack! However, after a month or two that feeling faded because the horrible memories of what alcohol did to me also faded. I would highly recommend preparing for that and having a plan to stay sober. Congrats on 7 days! Remember that you don't ever have to go through that detox period again.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the week Analog

D
Old 06-21-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I am definitely not afraid of alcohol, as in feeling like it's always around the corner ready to grab me, pin me down, and pour itself down my throat. I'm the one with the hands, after all. But I definitely have what I call a "healthy respect" for the dangers of drinking alcohol. I know first hand what will happen and I'm never going to drink it again. I say that without a doubt.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks! Keep going, it gets better.