Notices

low blood sugar feels like withdrawal.....

Old 05-24-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

low blood sugar feels like withdrawal.....

Usually, I'm pretty militant about meal times to manage my blood sugar. This morning, i skipped breakfast because it was my kids birthday and i had a ton of stuff to do.

Long about noon, i started shaking, getting dizzy, heart racing, sweating...etc...it felt like early withdrawal. NOT FUN.

I bought some glucose tablets to carry with me from now on. That sucked.

More than anything, it brought me right back to what withdrawal feels like...F-that. I feel sooo blessed these days. That not so gentle reminder is gonna stay with me for a LONG time.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sick last winter and it reminded me of going thru withdrawals every damn morning... So glad it's not like that anymore. I love waking up feeling good. That never gets old.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I got sick last winter and it reminded me of going thru withdrawals every damn morning... So glad it's not like that anymore. I love waking up feeling good. That never gets old.
well said
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh no, no bueno! Glad you're​ OK, as that is super dangerous and very scary. I always keep something on me & in the car. Even a few tic tacs will help rather quickly.
Hope you are back to normal. That can take it out of you for rest of the day!
Feel better,
J
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also try to keep some candy or snacks in my purse and glovebox of the van. I call them 'Emergency Snacks!' Those feelings are horrible and also set off an anxiety attack for me.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah being sick recently has reminded me of my smoking days i felt like i smoked 3 packs a day the last wek when i hadnt. i guess i welcome the reminder of how crappy i could feel so as to not do it again but still.

I hope your blood sugar issues get better. i dealt with the same issues ALOT in the first couple years. I was also getting to the ponit where iw as gonig to start carrying those glucose tablets and such it was terrible my sugar would drop i'd panic get all anxious get like hot flashes or something going down too then i'd freak out more.

I eat a ton of carbs now and it seems to happen less often but i'm still pretty suseptle to it since.

I've read in a few places this is quite common among alcholics as well.

I even read one person said they felt that us alcholics start off as kids using candy sugar to help us cope (carbs make us feel good) then as we get older we graduate to alcohol (just another form of sugar) we are just prone to it from the get go the guy theorized.

best ya can do is keep an eye on it. hit up a doctor if need be etc..