Notices

New to recovery

Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

I am sober for the last 48 hours I need suggestions that can I quit smoking also or it will be to much to handle . I am drinking for the last 13 years & smoking for the last 20 years
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Deep, I am not a smoker but have drinking and a few other bad habits.

Stay strong on not drinking and understand that many people smoke and not drink and visa versa. It sounds like you have a strong connection for the two.

Hopefully others will chime in but I encourage you to stay strong!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Deep,
welcome, and way to go on your sober days!

as for quitting smoking at the same time, different people have different experiences.
some have found it quite doable to quit both at once, whereas others felt it would be too difficult.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Deep2017

I quit both at once, but that's me - I generally didn;t smoke when I wasn;t drinking.

Others find that too much of an ask.
It's really down to the individual.

Whatever you decide there is support here

D
Old 05-24-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a friendly & helpful place, Deep. I'm so glad you've made the big decision to change your life.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started smoking cigarettes again during the last phase of my drinking days (f'it, why not), and I decided not to try to quit both when I quit drinking. I felt like, one thing at a time, and I don't want to jeopardize my alcohol recovery. So, I kept smoking, and it took me another 5 years to get around to quitting smoking, which I did last year. For me, it was quit alcohol or die, and that was my sole and only mission at that point in my life. Smoking will kill you too, but it takes longer.

I know some counselors will say you should quit everything at once, and maybe that's easier than going through a quitting and withdrawal process twice, but they're looking at statistics, and we're not statistics, we're individuals. So, whatever you think is best.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post

I know some counselors will say you should quit everything at once, and maybe that's easier than going through a quitting and withdrawal process twice, but they're looking at statistics, and we're not statistics, we're individuals. So, whatever you think is best.
I wish some counsellor had told me that, but them I probably would not have taken any notice. I left the giving up smoking bit for about twenty years, on the idea that it would not kill me as quick as the booze.

Giving them up was pure hell, about three years of it. I wish I had given up both at the same time, and avoided that extra round of withdrawals and cravings. The ciggy cravings were another thing entirely, completely different to alcohol.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome Deep,

congrats on 48 hours thats great. Whatever you choose with the smoking don't let it be a trigger or F it moment to drink. I know when I decided to stop drinking sugar cravings were gonna be bad. So I tried to do ketogenic diet (Adkins or zero carb). I lasted about 10 days, then cravings hit and it was very dangerous. I almost went straight to the bottle. Good luck
Old 05-25-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome deep. Stop drinking first. You can quit smoking later. Just my suggestion.