Notices

Next....

Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Next....

Tomorrow I am 7 months sober.

The next step is to get my weight and body back into shape.

I have been eating like crap (and overeating) during the last 7 months (H.A.L.T. - I know, lame excuse) but now that I have the booze thing under control it is time to treat my body better.

I had blood work done last week and I saw my doctor today - my cholesterol is "dangerously high" and he put me on medication. I need to also diet and eat healthy.

I go back in 3 months for another blood test.

Tips are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your ongoing sobriety, Doug! That is absolutely awesome.
Sorry your cholesterol is so high, wish I had some tips for you.....
Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cut down on processed foods and eat more whole foods. Start exercising even if its just walking. Both of those will make a dramatic impact on your bloodwork.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos on 7 months!! Nice job!! As mentioned start walking, 20 minutes, 30, etc!! If it's too hot go to the mall! Buy a Fitbit and start tracking your day. Cool tool!!

Great job on 7 months, one year is right around the corner!!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go Doug nicely done. Your heading in a positive direction my friend
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm just now starting to eat healthy again after 10 months of a free for all. I'm keeping it simple. One healthy meal at a time! Just like I do with not drinking... one day at a time
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doug you're an awesome guy. You owe it to yourself to do this. Loose the weight, get in shape. Just don't drink. For me it was the sugar. Hard to quit. Still is. But our overall health is more than just not drinking. 7 months is awesome. Keep going. I'm glad you're here Doug.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great work Doug, you have come a very long way. I had higher cholesterol too, and lots of the suggestions here are good ones....diet, exercise probably the 2 biggest factors, which can also help with weight. I was able to bring mine to acceptable levels using mostly that, but some people do need meds to help so listen to the doc there for sure.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 7 months sober!! My cholesterol was a bit high at one point so my doctor put me on a medicine. (one of the statins) A year later and my cholesterol is where it should be. I also walk a lot, due to having two dogs who need regular walks.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months Doug!

Daily exercise (start by briskly walking 20-30min...build from there until you are up to 1 hr), strength training at least 2-3 times per week, MyFitnessPal app to track calories and progress, substitute sugar with a piece of fruit or protein bars (quest are the best...mocha chip), substitute at least 1 meal per day with a protein shake (GNC has some great shakes...I use vanilla Lean Protein 25 and add fruit...great for dropping your cholesterol) and only have carbs at 1 meal. Lastly, include either a whole, freshly squeezed lemon or lime in all of your drinks. Fitbit is a good idea too. I haven't bought one yet, but thinking about it.

Hope this helps in your weight loss journey.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months! Amazing!!
Seeing as I just posted on how I'm eating waaay too much you may want to take this with a grain of salt. That said I did lose a lot of weight in last couple of years...I didn't eat much when drinking...but when I was to be working I tried to eat vegetarian things first. Veggie sausage, zucchini pancakes. Hummus and those tiny sweet peppers. Salads. Fill up with that and proteins. Eggs, chicken, nuts, beans and low fat cheese. I use Splenda in coffee and low fat creamer. (Fat free things usually have added sugar) That was key; pretty much no sugar, few carbs (usually early in the day and complex ones) and move around as much as possible. If you work a desk job, see if you can get an adjustable desk so you can stand some. Makes huge difference. I also try to swim and walk my dog as long and as often as possible. I've shed nearly 60 lbs in 2.5 years. Slow but steady. Had I not been drinking I'm sure I would be leaner. As for now I'm newly sober and eating like crap. Think I'm going to give myself 1 more week (when I have 30 days) and get back to it. GL!!

J
Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

I've had a couple of heart surgeries (the 2nd with some complications) which restricts the amount of physical activity I can tolerate. My options were to cut down on calories or get fat. I found that a lot of the calories I was putting into my body were redundant and done out of habit. When I was drinking those redundant calories came from alcohol, so when I first got sober I instinctively felt the need to replace those calories with something else.

For me part of what helped was simply eating less. Or more specifically balancing my caloric intake with calories burned. Since I wasn't exercising a lot then I really didn't need to eat 3 full meals a day. Instead of eggs, bacon, etc for breakfast I started having a piece of fruit and toast . Instead of a big sandwich for lunch I'd have a bowl of soup or some cheese and crackers. At dinner I usually ate a full meal but passed on seconds.

My exercise tolerance has improved slightly in the last couple of years but I've stuck to smaller portions at mealtime. If I need more calories now I will have a small snack between meals. Having gotten used to this routine I actually prefer it to eating a large meal, and my body seems to prefer it as well.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for all the suggestions.

they are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months!
I put on 60lbs my first year of sobriety. Weight Watchers has worked wonders for me. You can do the online program for under $5 a month. It's easy and it trains you to eat real, whole, good foods without feeling deprived. I agree with slickrick - cut out the processed foods...full of sodium and garbage. Lean proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains etc. Ditch soda (even diet) for water. I eat bananas and apples all day long as snacks. Anytime I feel hunger creep in I grab a piece of fruit and it curbs it.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

i went through sorta the same thing. after 6 or 7 months sober time sitll not feeling that great to be honest i decided to give diet and excercise a try. I lost over 100lbs but i just went for a daily walk mainly or walked when i was antsy.

It was then after that that i found i had high cholesterol. In my case i blame the low carb "aka meat diet" as i like to refer to it lol for my cholesterol woes and my high consumption of eggs at the time.

I was thinking of going vegan anyhow so i just did it then and there and my cholesterol dropped like a rock I've had no issues since.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
For me part of what helped was simply eating less.
See...this is what I do as well (I've lost 50lbs in the last few years...15 more to go). By eating smaller portions, I don't feel deprived. If I am out of my mind wanting sugar (and I'm not interested in a protein bar or fruit), I'll have a bite of chocolate (dark) or a bite of my husband's carrot cake, a spoonful of Ben & Jerrys...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm just over 7 months so we are in the same time frame. I had pretty high blood pressure when I quit (150-160/95-100). My resting heart rate was 80-84 and I was 30lbs over weight.

I started dieting and exercising about 4.5 months in and hadn't taking my bp or done any exercise prior to that. My diet was simple. I ate a yogurt for breakfast, a large salad with low calorie dressing for lunch and a regular but less then normal quantity dinner. Exercise, I started with jumping jacks and push ups. Doesn't sound like much, but if you are out of shape it will do the trick. I could only do 2 sets of 25jj and 30 push ups for the first week or two. Now I'm at over 300 jj and 100 push ups. I do them with a max of 1 minute rest between sets so your heart gets pumping pretty good. If you are out of shape like I was, be aware of your heart rate. Depending on your age and physical shape you don't want it to get over 50-60% of your max heart rate starting out. You can find these numbers online. I now get it to 80-85% which for me is 144-156 beats a minute.

All this being said, I was able to lose the 30 lbs and now can eat pretty much what I want. My bp dropped to an average of 115/75 and my resting heart rate is 68-70. Also I started taking krill oil. It is good at fighting cholesterol and it is good for your heart in general. It is comparable to fish oil without the bad after taste.

This is what worked for me.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DOUG- MINE CHOL IS UP TOO- AND I eat too much., Together we can do stuff, yes?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Way to go on your 7 months. I think an exercise regimen is always a good thing. Should help with your energy levels and your nutrition. I had a pretty adverse reaction with strenuous exercise and statins (cholesterol) medication. I only mention it to bring awareness. If your joints really hurt or you feel weak, go back and see the doc. Could be the medication.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I had a pretty adverse reaction with strenuous exercise and statins (cholesterol) medication. I only mention it to bring awareness. If your joints really hurt or you feel weak, go back and see the doc. Could be the medication.
Thanks.

My doctor warned me about the possible side of effect of sore joints and/or muscles. I think he said 1 in 20 people get those symptoms.