Notices

Worried about my liver..

Old 05-21-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my liver..

So heres my story, i quit drinking about 2.5 months ago after a nasty tummy bug really put the brakes on me. Im 33, male, a heavy binge drinker for 10 years, and after an initial panic about my liver I decided to get a full workup. All the tests came back normal...

Here I am and 2.5 months sober and I am feeling nauseous and yuck sometimes during the day, this has lasted a few days.

Im just wondering if your liver can go backwards once you have quit drinking (as it tries to repair)

Anyone have experience with this?

(edit) I have got another workup done today and am awaiting results.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many things that can make us feel nauseous and yuck - and I daresay most of those are easily fixed.

I hope the results help you and your Drs work out whats going on

D
Old 05-22-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Throughout my 27 years of abusing alcohol everyday I constantly worried about my health and what the booze was doing to me.

But I guess I wasn't that worried because I kept on drinking.

I am almost 7 months sober and luckily my health is good - I just had lab work done last week and other then my high cholesterol I am in good shape.

Go to a doctor if you have questions.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope the test results come back good McCraggen. As dee says there are a whole host of things that can cause us to feel ill. Sometime even worrying itself can cause us to feel physically ill. Congrats on 2.5 months of being sober, that will certainly pay dividends in the long run. I had a lot of GI issues when I was drinking and it took several months for them to finally clear up.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck and good for you for getting updated tests. IME, after about 90-100 days or so when I was retested, my very scary results (on liver enzymes and more) were in the normal range. Regardless of what the deal is- not drinking is always the better choice.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

as long as your not taking any harsh drugs and your taking care of yourself your liver will be working hard to repair its self. I know its kind of nasty but as long as your stool is normal your liver is doing it's job. you will know if your liver is in trouble, your stool will look 9 different kinds of abnormal and smell like death and your eyes will be jaundice. (yellowing of the whites of eyes).

And another thing that really helped my husbands liver quickly rejuvenate was making him this drink in the mornings and you put it all in a blender.
2 grape fruits just the juice
1 whole carrot
1 whole kiwi
2 apples
2 bananas
2 oranges
and you can also receive great benefit from pomegranate too.

blend and down it. I know it will taste kind of ucky but he always told me that it made him feel great and his liver thanked him for it. Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once alcohol is out of the picture, really everything in your body can go into repair mode, granted things haven't gotten too far.
If you are overly concerned, you can ask your doc to order a liver ultrasound to check it out more in depth.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I teach first aid for the Red Cross.....nauseous is listed for most everything. Let's see what your doctor determines.....likely just a bug.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, This scare has shook me up a lot, i had a lot of health anxiety in the past and drinking was for sure a coping mechanism for that! But im not using it to hide anymore!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

My best friend died in march 2017 from complications from liver damage at age 52. But guess what, she wasn't a drinker.

She got it from a transfusion for cancer treatment in about 1980 before they screened for hepatitis. She was in high school then. So I've witnessed what that looks like. All the treatments and suffering. I saw how she did everything to try to live. I don't want to throw my life away anymore.

Don't go there. It was awful.

Take that worry you have, and never drink again.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, no intention of EVER drinking again, just hope my bill isnt too high for all my misdeeds.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did you get your results?