Notices

AA related question

Old 05-20-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
....for many, including myself, drug use is a problem related to alcoholism. when i smoked crack, i was drinking. when i snorted coke i was drinking. when i took lsd,acid, or shrooms, i was drinking.
While alcohol is what brought us to the rooms of AA drug usage often pops into shares in meeting and from those standing at the podium in a speaker meeting. Often the member mentions they attend NA meetings as well. However, I can't recall the last time someone in an AA meeting exclusively discussed drugs without bringing the drink into their share.

However, there does seem that more AA meetings making it clear they want only alcohol to be discussed.

Or maybe it is because I'm no longer in San Diego area which has a serious meth problem.

Because in the AA meeting I attended in San Diego (for some ten years) drugs were regularly mentioned.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Great topic. Way to keep it respectful guys. Thank you
Old 05-20-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tomsteve,
Brilliant revelations! Thanks so much for taking time to write that all out!!
J
Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
G-Woman

This is where AA hardliners and I disagree - I believe that addiction is addiction, regardless of the substance.

I understand alcohol being the common identifier at AA meetings. But I've seen some AA folks get outright angry at any mention of other substances, and it just makes me shake my head. I'm not sure how being berated in front of everyone is supposed to help anything.