Notices

Thinking of having a drink tomorrow

Old 05-19-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just a quick update. I did not drink in the evening after my blood work and today is day 38. I intend to continue on this course.

I really appreciate your responses to my original post and I hope that you have a great weekend!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ls,
good going.
participating and engaging with others really helped with implementing my intentions...might be so for you, too.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nice!
You have a good weekend as well!
J
Old 05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you changed your mind ls

D
Old 05-20-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good job, Ls.
Moderation doesn't work.
The right choice is always to NOT drink.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Your post reminded me of a chap I hears share many years ago. Although his story, his perspective on it, may well have changed by now, what he shared really stayed with me.

He shared that he didn't drink a great deal. Like you, no impact in terms of working life, no discernible impact either on his relationships. Except, what he described was not being present to his life, his attention diverted. And this was because, throughout his day, the only thing that held his attention, was the small glass of sherry he would have that evening. He waited on it, thought about it, nursed the idea of it, all day long, every day. Whoever or whatever was in front of him, he wasn't really present to it. There was always that other, pressing, and ever present thought, of that glorious sherry later in the day. And when he caught on, the extent to which this thought governed how present he was to his life, how it dictated when he needed to get home, and what he needed to do when he got there, he recognised not only the power of that obsession, but his powerlessness over alcohol.

This couldn't be more different to how I drank, or the consequences of my drinking. But he described the alcoholic obsession beautifully, and I identified with that. To the extent, I've never forgotten it. How free we become, how life opens up, outside of that obsession.

Thank you for reminding me of that. Wish you well on your sobriety journey.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great job on your non drinking decision. Just do your homework on alcoholism. It's progressive. Always gets worse. Always. If you're an alcoholic and you continue drinking, it will get worse. It will turn on you. It always does. Without question. Your life will be miserable.
So stay with us. I can absolutely 100 percent assure you a life of total abstinence is better.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Great job on your non drinking decision. Just do your homework on alcoholism. It's progressive. Always gets worse. Always. If you're an alcoholic and you continue drinking, it will get worse. It will turn on you. It always does. Without question. Your life will be miserable.
So stay with us. I can absolutely 100 percent assure you a life of total abstinence is better.
I am so glad to be here! It's day 40 and I am feeling well. Thank you very much for your encouragement.