Notices

Drinking problem or just college living?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking problem or just college living?

I am a 21 year old college student, sometimes I worry about my drinking. My friends joke around and tell me I'm an "alcoholic" which I'm beginning to think is true.

I do not drink every day, I don't even drink every single weekend like most college kids. Drinking hasn't affected my studies, I always make it to class. Whenever I do go out, I drink A LOT and get wasted to the point of vomiting and staggering, this has happened many times. I can't just have one drink, I drink alcohol to get drunk, not tipsy or buzzed. Every time I've tried to have just one drink it turns into more. I've woke up with bruises and scars from falling, and I always feel depressed when I wake up after a night of drinking. I've been kicked out of the bar for being too drunk. I can go months with out drinking but when I get a taste of alcohol I just want more, I can't control it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

I suggest that you should not drink. For whatever reason, it doesn't agree with you. It doesn't sound like you enjoy it. Enough said.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe there is a continuum of those of us who have a biochemical reaction to alcohol...some of us take years to get to the point where we black out and all that, others have a stronger reaction earlier. I think some day they will identify both the gene and the actual chemical reaction and alcoholism will hopefully lose much of its stigma.

So...that was a long answer, sorry...in short, yes, it sounds like you are one of those who have this bad reaction at a very young age. In a way, it's a blessing...you won't waste decades trying to debate whether you have a "problem" or not...it's there.

How would you like us to help?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dani

If you try and stop and can't, if you repeatedly end up injuring yourself or finding yourself in dangerous situations, f drinking makes you depressed and you drink to oblivion, I think you're out of the norm, even for a college student.

I hope you decide to do something about it - plenty of support here

D
Old 05-12-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I enjoy drinking where I am in total control which happens rarely
Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would simply suggest that you stop drinking, since it seems to be doing you no favors. If you are having a hard time stopping, I'd get medical help, or counseling, to help yourself get sober.

Believe me, if you keep drinking, even only sporadically, eventually something really bad will happen. Don't let it get to that point.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dani; very glad that you found us.

I hope that you give very serious consideration to the fact that you may well be an alcoholic.

The fact that you can't stop drinking once you have started is a huge warning sign.

If you stop drinking now, you can avoid an abundance of unavoidable, negative repercussions and misery.

Hope you stick around, Dani.

You will find so much support here.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drank something like that in college. I was mostly a weed smoker, but pretty much every Friday and Saturday night I'd be drinking with friends, always to excess and always to get drunk. Many, many blackout drunken episodes, including some really lucky ones where I could have gotten myself or others killed.

When I left that school and moved to another state, I was out of that environment and I very rarely drank at all, for years. I remember apologizing to old friends when I saw them, sorry, I can't drink like that anymore, two drinks and I want to head to bed. I quit smoking weed and other drugs at the same time. It was many years later before alcohol addiction kicked in, when I was in my 40's.

Was I an alcoholic in my early 20's? I don't know, depends how you want to define it. I was definitely a problem drinker, and that kind of drinking foreshadowed major drinking problems later in life, even if it didn't cause major problems back then. Perhaps I could have avoided those major problems later, if I had paid more attention to the little problems earlier.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Are you an alcoholic? Well, there is one sure sign in your post, the loss of control after taking the first drink. This happens because of a craving, so powerful it is beyond our ability to control, that is activated when we take even a small amount of alcohol into our system.

It never occurs in ordinary temperate drinkers, only in alcoholics. This is how your drinking will be in the future. You will never be able to predict accurately what will happen after you take the first drink. You may be able to have one or two and enjoy them at times, but at other times you will lose control with unpredictable consequences.

Two predictions I can make is that alcoholics who continue to drink always get worse over time, and the problem always gets harder to solve.

It has been suggested you don't drink. That would be a sensible course of action. There are people, like you and me, who should never drink.

But our alcoholic mind may not accept that view point. It is goin to say "yes, but I am not that bad yet (YET YET) and anyway I still enjoy having a couple now and then." It will stay with the obsession that the enjoyable couple of drinks is still possible, even in the face of the evidence you have seen, where at times you completely loose control.

What can you do?
Try and stop for, say, a year. If you are a real alcoholic you might find that a tough goal. If you succeed and life seems good, saty stopped.

Or next time the urge is upon you, try and have just a couple and stop, every time. Become a responsible drinker. If you are like me that will prove impossible to do consistently.

If you find you cant stop and cant control, then SR, AA, or some other help may be needed. For myself, I was almost dead from alcoholism by 22, and I got sober by joining AA. I just had my 60th birthday and have not needed to drink in all that time. So there are permanent solutions out there.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaniPistol View Post
sometimes I worry about my drinking. .
Simple answer. If you feel that your drinking is a problem, then it probably is. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. If you continue down the path you are taking things will only get worse.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am in no way being flippant when I say I remember watching Ricki Lake and she said "If drinking is causing problems in your life you have a drinking problem!"

I think you will probably get the same answer from most people here. If you are unable to control your drinking after the first drink then you are likely to be of the "alcoholic type." Read the excerpts from Under the Influence in the stickies of this forum, it talks about the physiological basis of this quite a lot if I remember correctly. (Read as much as you can on anything alcoholism related --- I avoided this at your age because I was afraid of what I might find out. That was a stupid mistake on my part!)

When I was your age I was also known jokingly as the "alcoholic one" of my friends (many of which were also hard drinkers/ and party people). In my case it absolutely turned out to be true! It doesn't seem so funny now TBH.

Please don't go down the route I took. For 20 years I knew I was an alcoholic and that my relationship with alcohol was abnormal. But I put off taking any action. Like you perhaps, I convinced myself that I was just young and that it was a phase I would grow out of. Despite the chaos alcohol was causing in my life (multiple hospitalizations, severe psychological problems, work, relationship etc.) I still had the idea that I would "just quit later."

I wasted so much of my life trying to be normal but actually drinking alcoholically it pains me. It really is a progressive illness, so if you can't control your drinking you are on a slippery slope. The only cure is not to drink.

(These are all just my opinions, and probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.)
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dani - we're so glad to have you with us. This is a encouraging place to talk things over.

I finally realized it isn't how often you drink, but what it does to you when you do drink. It took me many years to finally admit I never knew where that first drink was going to take me. I'm glad you're taking a serious look at what drinking does to you. My life would've been so different if only I had.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the advice! Now that the semester is over I think I will stop drinking for the summer and see how it goes. Hopefully I can stop, return to college and be sober.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

I think you know that answer and are just looking for confirmation. Some of us have an "adverse" reaction to alcohol and we crave it after starting. The only solution for those like me is to not introduce it into my system. Not that big a deal if you look at it rationally. Sounds like you might be like me. There are lots of other things I can do. As far as drinking goes, what would be the point? Lots lost and nothing gained.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

Not to point this directly at the OP, just an observation about posts like this from younger people.

It always reminds me of the quote about how surprised a child was that their parent had learned so much in seven years, in that when they were fourteen the parent was so ignorant they could barely stand to be in their presence, but at twenty one amazed at how much they had learned.

Unfortunately it took me some thirty years to learn that lesson. Varies reasons lead to that path, apathy, evasion among them. I would have benefitted from taking a more sober, pun of course, and rational view about what others , more experienced others, had to say about alcohol and realize that the way I drank can/would/will always be a net negative , no beneficial results in mind , body or soul.

Asking this question at your stage in life is Ana making advantage , don't waste what you probably already know is the best most rational answer.

Of all the things and possible things to come your in your life, alcohol will /can/would only hold an erosive effect on your happiness.

Don't take any more time out of your life to understand that truth.

Life is too precious to let alcohol waste even one more night of it.

Your "drinking" is the only thing that will "miss" your drinking.

Go back to school, do your best, enjoy your life and don't ever regret giving up what for you is a net negative .
Old 05-13-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I admire your courage in seeking advice and your willingness to question your own condition.

You sound a lot like me in college, which is not a good thing.

The problem with blackout drinking and other excessive drinking is that it can be fatal if the right set of bad circumstances exist.

I felt invincible at your age and could take a punch from alcohol and drugs pretty well, but wandering around drunk is a very dangerous proposition and a fool's errand.

Let us know how you do this summer.

We're glad you're here with us.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Many campus have recovery centers - maybe drop in one and go to a meeting. You may find others who you'll identify with. If alcohol is problem and a person can't quit as they'd like to seeking help is a good idea.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The best information I've seen offered on this board in reference to the question of whether there's a problem is the following.

It doesn't matter what you drink or how often you drink. It doesn't even matter if you can get away unscathed periodically. It's what alcohol does to you when you drink.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Very smart you come here with that question. I started drinking in college...it was a hard drinking culture. One guy told me I started drinking like an alcoholic from get go. I was drinking alone from the start. I liked it better....huge relax. If you have it.....you get it.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No need to label it 'alcoholic'. If drinking is negatively affecting your life, then you have a problem.

This is a great place to be!!