Notices

Drinking problem or just college living?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drank just like that in college - not everyday, but always to intoxication when tried. I had depression and anxiety after a night of drinking as well. In my case, the drinking progressed after college to include daily drinking. I continued this for a bout 15 years before getting help.

Looking back, the signs were all there during my college years: drinking to intoxication every time, not being able to stop once started, having an almost euphoric excitement when drinking was being planned, blacking out, unexplained injuries, doing things that were way out of character or that I later regretted, etc. I agree with those that see a physiological component to alcoholism as I believe my reaction to booze is abnormal. I surrounded myself with heavy drinkers so as to not stand out. But I even had a reputation among them as someone who always got drunk.

I can say that I wish I would have taken action back then. But the fact of the matter is I was immature and I didn't want to. I thought I enjoyed drinking, thought it made me who I was, it took care of my social fears, etc. That said, the consequences since then have been significant and I would have liked to have not experienced them all. But they are what got me to where I am today, so I am generally grateful.

I give you credit for exploring this in your mind. I suggest a trusted doctor and/or counselor for you to get a professional opinion. In the meantime, I wish you well.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I drank like you in college. I believer I had a physiologic reaction to booze that was abnormal and I wished I would have heeded the warning signs back then. Some of us are just not designed to handle alcohol. I am one and I knew it all along. In my case, beginning to work with a professional to address mental health issues began to open my eyes to the possibilities of life without alcohol. My opinion is that only a pro can properly assess you from the outside.

I wish you well. Hey, you're at least exploring this thing about yourself. If you decide that the demon does live in your head, just know that are so many of us out here of all shapes, sizes, beliefs and personalities. You can find your spot.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Update: Over the weekend I went out drinking, I didn't get as drunk I as usually do but I'm still upset that I didn't stay sober.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you still aiming to stop for the summer?

D
Old 05-29-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Are you still aiming to stop for the summer?

D
Yes I am, I just don't want to fail again
Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you drink again (I hope you don't) then you might have to consider this is a little more than a college thing?

D