Notices

Sobriety is an Asset

Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is an Asset

Ignoring personal relationships for the time being...

If you look at life as assets vs. liabilities, sobriety is one of the greatest assets for a recovering alcoholic (at least for me). It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Asset - anything that pays you
Liability - anything that costs you

I wouldn't be here if drinking was an asset.

Sorry, that's just my random thought for the day.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great thought TWTOM. I agree - sobriety is an asset that pays us in so many ways. I also firmly believe that any good asset requires constant re-investmtent to keep it growing, and sobriety is no different.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ALWAYS in the positive column! And as I have been braver in telling my story publicly (ie, now that I lead a restaurant industry support group and am one of the faces of recovery in that arena) my honesty and my sobriety are ever greater assets.

Good comments.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read somewhere recently- that if a person judges me on the person I was a year ago- they have not met me.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
ALWAYS in the positive column! And as I have been braver in telling my story publicly (ie, now that I lead a restaurant industry support group and am one of the faces of recovery in that arena) my honesty and my sobriety are ever greater assets.

Good comments.
I agree completely.

Congratulations on taking a risk on being open about your recovery and leading and industry support group.

Your line of work (the restaurant industry) needs the help as much as mine (the practice of law).

When I got and stayed sober for a while, I went from being a poster child for alcoholism to what sobriety can accomplish for a seemingly hopeless drunk.

In the local professional community in which I make my living, I have gone from representing the problem to representing the solution.

Now, people in my profession call me to discuss getting sober or to discuss what they should do about an addicted partner or employee.

I write articles in professional journals about alcoholism, drug addiction and mental health issues.

I speak about alcoholism and addiction to law school classes, at continuing legal education seminars and to other groups of lawyers and associated groups (law firm administrators).

I used to be regarded (not unfairly, I might add) as being a drunk and a tavern rat, and now people come to me for help.

All of this is nothing short of miraculous, and I give all of the credit to God and AA.

So my recovery is undoubtedly an asset.

It's also a gift from God that I try to protect and preserve.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I agree completely.

Congratulations on taking a risk on being open about your recovery and leading and industry support group.

Your line of work (the restaurant industry) needs the help as much as mine (the practice of law).

When I got and stayed sober for a while, I went from being a poster child for alcoholism to what sobriety can accomplish for a seemingly hopeless drunk.

In the local professional community in which I make my living, I have gone from representing the problem to representing the solution.

Now, people in my profession call me to discuss getting sober or to discuss what they should do about an addicted partner or employee.

I write articles in professional journals about alcoholism, drug addiction and mental health issues.

I speak about alcoholism and addiction to law school classes, at continuing legal education seminars and to other groups of lawyers and associated groups (law firm administrators).

I used to be regarded (not unfairly, I might add) as being a drunk and a tavern rat, and now people come to me for help.

All of this is nothing short of miraculous, and I give all of the credit to God and AA.

So my recovery is undoubtedly an asset.

It's also a gift from God that I try to protect and preserve.
Very impressive! 😀
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is great, Sober CAH! I do believe the BB when it says "no matter how far down the scale we have gone [we can use our experience to benefit others]" (4th ed).

Some people say what we are doing is brave - I say, eh, maybe, but mostly it's just IMPORTANT to be of help to anyone and everyone who needs it. And you never, ever know who that will be- some of the most unsuspecting people (not the obvious ones) come to look for help.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Sober equity"....keep pouring time and effort into your sobriety and you'll get a richer life!
Great post twtom.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I call my sobriety "the gift that keeps on giving."
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I speak or write an article only when I am asked to do so.

I follow the principle of attraction and not promotion.

The same way that I don't go out looking for drunks to help.

But, as recovering alcoholics (as August 25 notes), we are particularly equipped to help other alcoholics and their loved ones, business associates, etc.

Another aspect in which my recovery has been an asset is the fact that sobriety has broadened my world so much.

My worldview was so narrow when I drank (the 2 bars I lived in after work, the house and the office).

It was quite a clam shell.

Now, the world sits at my door step everyday so that when I walk through it (either way), I am positioned to be God's servant (if I am spiritually fit).