Notices

Reasons behind the drinking?

Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alcohol was my temporary cure-all with a twist. It only cured all my problems briefly and then they came roaring back even stronger.

It's like a hurricane that temporarily weakens only to hit warmer waters and rapidly gain strength before making landfall.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who answered- and to those who didn't, I understand that, too. It's probably just best to know to stop, regardless of the reasons behind it.

I used to smoke heavily for many years and finally quit that 10 years ago. I managed to go without much of any vice for a couple of years until I discovered red wine....started innocent enough. But before you knew it I was drinking a bottle a day average.

I always knew I could never smoke again but I never thought I would develop a drinking problem . Never. I drank socially for years and almost never drank alone. But that was then, this is now.

Now I have enough years under my belt to look back and say "gosh maybe I do have an addictive personality??" I don't know. Maybe those definitions aren't so important. What's important is to treat yourself with respect and cherish your health. What else matters before that??

I started this thread not so much to get any concrete answers, but to just go one more day without drinking. I hope it helped someone else as much as it did me. So thanks again
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Childhood abuse and trauma.
Depression & Anxiety.
Grief.

I don't use those as excuses TO drink anymore. Now I own them, and I work on them ...by talking to others, helping where I can, and intensive trauma therapy. If I choose to pick up a drink that is on ME. Not on anyone else. I know better now.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Waterox View Post
Thanks to all who answered- and to those who didn't, I understand that, too. It's probably just best to know to stop, regardless of the reasons behind it.

I used to smoke heavily for many years and finally quit that 10 years ago. I managed to go without much of any vice for a couple of years until I discovered red wine....started innocent enough. But before you knew it I was drinking a bottle a day average.

I always knew I could never smoke again but I never thought I would develop a drinking problem . Never. I drank socially for years and almost never drank alone. But that was then, this is now.

Now I have enough years under my belt to look back and say "gosh maybe I do have an addictive personality??" I don't know. Maybe those definitions aren't so important. What's important is to treat yourself with respect and cherish your health. What else matters before that??

I started this thread not so much to get any concrete answers, but to just go one more day without drinking. I hope it helped someone else as much as it did me. So thanks again
good on ya!

I found there were quite a few underlying issues that alcohol was a symptom for. however, it took some time sober- some time for the mental fog to lift and my thinkin to get a little better- before I could learn those underlying issues.