Notices

Alternative ways to relax after long work week?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternative ways to relax after long work week?

Well, after about a month I slipped and had a pint of vodka the last 2 weeks on Saturday after work. I'm ok most of the week, but Saturday is a physical day for my job and it's hard not to drink when I get home. It's the combination of stress and boredom that gets me. Is there something I can do or eat or drink to make it past Saturday? Kind of stuck here and annoyed that I can't find a solution. In general I'm a pretty healthy person, but vodka is my crutch
Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I think the key is to break the routine. I don't have a very physical job, so I like to go the gym or for a run. The trick for me is to do that before I come home. If I go home first, then I start stewing and thinking and drinking starts seeming like the best option.

Other options are to go for a movie, some tea, a walk, an improv show...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All of us can come up with plenty of excuses to drink.

There are an infinite number of home and self-improvement projects, I think you can find something that is interesting, right? I agree with Jazzfish, make a plan before you get off work so you aren't at odds. Any plan is a good plan if it doesn't include vodka.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got a fitbit recently and my goal is to walk 20k steps M-F and than take Saturday and Sunday off. So on weekdays I'm pretty busy, but on the weekends I'm just bored. I have no interests and I'm not a very social person. Setting a plan is a good idea, but I just find myself finding nothing exciting to do besides going to a concert or movie every once in a while.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why take Saturday and Sunday off from the walking? It's not like you need to recover physically from that amount of activity. Sitting around doing nothing (if it's triggering you ) doesn't seem like a good plan.

Also, part of sobriety is developing interests.

There must be something in which you find curiosity that isn't physically taxing? Reading, painting, short road trips, fishing, the list is endless. Boredom is a mindset, something kids complain about, right? There is always a closet to be cleaned or some weeds to pull, or even somebody else's trash to pick up. How about volunteering at a school or animal shelter or hospital?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Also, part of sobriety is developing interests.
I found a lot of interesting options by searching my local area's name and continuing education and adult classes.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I found a lot of interesting options by searching my local area's name and continuing education and adult classes.
During one particularly long dry drunk period, I earned and Associate degree from a local community college. I also dropped a good amount of beer fat, and built muscle. This was exceedingly helpful in staying sober as I was committed to constructive projects. I rarely, if ever, thought of drinking during this time.

I went on to a local University and completed only one semester before I decided to "reward" myself one weekend with a few beers. That turned into a few hundred and I had to drop. It is still very troubling if I let myself think of it too much. That began my first sincere visit to A.A., and the 12 step program, which is proving to be very beneficial.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I usually go to a nice park of green area and relax with a good fruit juice or smoothie on a bench (trying out a new type/flavor every day), or maybe an ice cream. Been doing this pretty much every day after work since i stopped drinking
Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this is one of my main problems too. I work in a highly emotional job (where its loud, the customers are usually always angry, doing over hours is "normal") and when I am at home, I need silence and on the other hand, I need relaxation, but I can not relax. Work is always in the back of my mind. Sometimes I walk a few miles, but there is a steady connection the the "next working day". I write, but not for fun, but to become a writer. Its hard work too. So I jump between work and work.

I am mostly a reclusive person, an introvert, and I found, that when I get out, to be social, many people demand total attention to their problems and lives. This is very exhausting. The world is way too loud.

I yet try to find a solution for these problems.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is one of the issues I had problems with and I see people deal with over and over.

There is a addictive misconception that drinking = fun, and that conversely "not drinking" = boring. If you are a bored and you drink, then you'll just be bored and drunk too.

The list of "things to do" is much longer if you aren't drinking. A good way to get started is to make a schedule or a list for your weekend. If you don't plan anything, you'll probably be bored....but not because you are drinking or not.

If you've never read this thread it's a good one. Pick just one thing...and make a plan to do it. You'll be surprised at how many people are out there doing things and having fun without alcohol.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by froghat View Post
I'm ok most of the week, but Saturday is a physical day for my job and it's hard not to drink when I get home.
If you are good through the week, then you have all week to plan for Saturday. There is no excuse to not have found something to do to occupy the few hours you have remaining after work.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise is a good way for me to relax. I also like playing music, reading, watching a DVD. I've been known to use some breathign exercises a time ir two too.

Other people like meditiation, hobbies, interests. Some folks even get a little
zen from house cleaning.

The lie that the only way you can relax is with a pint of vodka needs to dispelled immediately froghat.

D
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd choose exercise over drinking any day! Hit the gym on your way home or go for a long walk/run as soon as you get home...anything to get your heartrate up and sweat. You may not feel like it in the beginning, but eventually you'll begin to look forward to it. You will never regret getting a good workout in.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiking. Hiking is wonderful. You put one foot in front of the other and breathe. Listen to some music while hiking, or a podcast, or audio book. This is an excellent way to spend a saturday afternoon or sunday morning. There is something therapeutic about a few hours walking through some woods.

Purging. Got clutter around? Tackle one area of your home at a time - feels great, and when you are done you get a feeling of accomplishment - time well spent, more ordered home.

Record store. Spend some time going through the bins - discover some new stuff, laugh at some of the artwork.

Coffee shop. Try a new kind of coffee, and hang out, people watching. Maybe bring a notebook and write a little, write about what you see.

Read. Maybe some Stephen King? Short stories?

Volunteer. Check out some opportunities around you and get involved helping others. Help yourself by getting out of your head and doing some good for others.

I could keep going. The world is wide open to you now - you climbed out of the bottle and into life.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Purging. Got clutter around? Tackle one area of your home at a time - feels great, and when you are done you get a feeling of accomplishment - time well spent, more ordered home.
The life-changing magic of tidying up is an incredible book and method.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I enjoy long walks while listening to music. Cooking is also a way for me to relax and redirect my thoughts.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have three kids 9, 12 and 13. They keep me plenty busy...now I get to enjoy all their activites without hiding a drink in a coffee cup! When we have a free evening, I workout, do jigsaw puzzles, play games, read a book, and sometimes I just go to bed early, even on a Friday night!
Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Exercise/something physical followed by a long shower, cooking a good meal and reading, listening to music or watching a new movie or show.