SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Deep-sixed Facebook! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/409165-deep-sixed-facebook.html)

steve-in-kville 05-05-2017 12:42 PM

Deep-sixed Facebook!

Yep, did away with it. My wife and I had a joint account for years. I come to feel it did more harm than good. Family drama, all my wife's cousins are into these multi-level schemes (ever hear of Plexus?) and just general over all time waster.

Oh... and then there was the wicked/evil aunt who was stalking us!! That one took the cake...

BrendaChenowyth 05-05-2017 12:51 PM

There is a lot of craziness that ensues on Facebook. I need to start from scratch with a new account actually, because over the years I have subscribed to so many groups and pages that now all I see is spam!

Doug39 05-05-2017 01:39 PM

I manage social media accounts for a living so I am forced to look at Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn daily - it is easy money.

I don't put anything personal on Facebook. I do participate on the Facebook Alcoholics Anonymous page - I have met a lot of good people there.

BrendaChenowyth 05-05-2017 01:41 PM

How is it Anonymous then?

Done4today 05-05-2017 01:44 PM

Nothing is anonymous. Ask NSA

SoberCAH 05-05-2017 01:45 PM

I've never really been on FB to speak of.

My wife is on it all the time.

ScottFromWI 05-05-2017 01:54 PM

I ditched facebook about 6 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Done4today 05-05-2017 01:58 PM

My 5th step was so much longer because of FB. Damn you Zuckerberg. hahahaha

zjw 05-05-2017 02:06 PM

i thankfully never got involved in it :). and sometimes it hink about it and i'm like oh man reading everyone elses drama all day would probably stress me out i got enough BS to keep me occupied as is.

BrendaChenowyth 05-05-2017 03:31 PM

I do have to say, I recently had a birthday, and I got twenty or so happy birthday messages from people who otherwise never interact with me online or in person. People do this automatically, they see today's birthdays and they type happy birthday into the little space provided, boom done.

I got one phone call to wish me a happy birthday. She may or may not have messaged me on facebook, but we haven't talked in a couple of years and she took the time to reach out and actually call, she left a message wishing me a happy birthday and said she hopes everything is well with me and would like to catch up sometime.

No one does this. That one call made me happier than 100 generic facebook posts.

Doug39 05-05-2017 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6444589)
How is it Anonymous then?

Good question.

It isn't. The people on there apparently don't care about anonymity.

least 05-05-2017 03:49 PM

I had a fb account once, years ago, for a day, then deactivated it. This forum is the only social forum I'm on, besides twitter.

Meshami 05-05-2017 03:57 PM

I just ditched mine a few days ago, myself. Facebook = Fakebook... fake news, fake lives, fake happiness... even the faces all look fake all the millions of selfies out there with all the apps to photoshop their faces. That was the last straw, seeing someone I know in real life with a million freckles, that always looked gorgeous on her, and fake app'd her face so much it looked like cream cheese.

It added exactly zero happiness to my daily living. I did keep the facebook messenger app on my phone, as some people I text I don't have their number and it's just texting back and forth. We will see how that goes, I may delete that, too, if it becomes a drain.

So far so good. :)

teatreeoil007 05-05-2017 03:58 PM

I have a Facebook account, but hardly ever use it. When I do use it it's mainly to catch up with family. It's nice to see some of the pictures. I truly don't understand the mentality of living your life out on Facebook though. I've never posted any pictures of myself on it. The pictures that are there of me have been posted by others.

CreativeThinker 05-05-2017 03:59 PM

I too deactivated my FB account years ago. Waste of time, nosey people, not for me.

Talkinandwalkin 05-05-2017 10:51 PM

WOW. I thought I was the only one. Been almost two years. Started right after getting sober. One of the best things I ever did. When I look back it was a collossal waste of time.

SteveAlex 05-05-2017 10:55 PM

I have facebook and will admit I go on it daily however since joining here and getting sober and going to meetings I have cut it down about 75% of the time that I am on there. Also recently got rid of cable. Would rather read now.

Stellar45 05-06-2017 01:59 AM

Facebook appears to be a real ego thing for a lot of people. Brodcast who you are or who you would like others to think you are to the entire world. Some people care more about what FB peeps think than the people around them in their everyday lives, and forging meaningful relationships with them.

I had a stepdaughter who was disrespectful of other family members in my home, I being the one who paid 90% of the bills. When I called her on it she refused to acknowledge her actions and became sarcastic with me. I kicked her out of the house immediately.
All of a sudden, people on my wife's side of the family started giving me the cold shoulder and would not give me the time of day. I found out later that stepdaughter had butchered my rep on facebook. An entirely one sided and untruthful point of view of what really happened.

For a person who struggled with a self inflated view of myself in my drinking days, facebook is something I'm better off staying clear of. I dont need to fall back into old modes of thinking either. Thank you.

SoberTyger 05-06-2017 02:27 AM

I think facebook is what you make it to be, in your life... I have a facebook and check it daily.. I find it useful for sharing interests with likeminded people and I don't get invovled in the other crap going on there.
I love music, and i find it as a great tool to share band recommendations and discovering concerts and stuff, but I dodn't get involved in all the other stuff there

FBL 05-06-2017 04:00 AM

I joined FB last fall. It's a good way to stay in touch with distant family and friends. I don't take it too seriously and stay away from the politics and such. It's what you make of it.