Notices

Your safe/happy place?

Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Your safe/happy place?

Do you have one? Do you know what/where it is? Is it an actual physical thing, or a state of mind? Since getting sober, I re-discovered gardening and horticulture. I've found I am at my happiest when I am creating something. Almost like a safe place for me.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My personal goal has been to try to feel more comfortable safe with myself, no matter where I go. Because at end of the day what I was trying to "run away" from by drinking was already inside me. Same thing with my anxiety...no matter where I go, "there I am" so to speak.

I wouldn't say I've achieved this goal fully, probably never will, but my focus has been on things I can do to make me be more comfortable with me. And conversely, helping me be more comfortable in situations that normally aren't very comfortable to begin with. Certainly there are places like Bars or Bachelor parties that I simply stay away from now, but i try to not focus on the place as the situation.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, Steve. Flow activities that you can become totally immersed in and it's almost like your mind can be totally removed from your body. Social dancing was like that for me, but I haven't done it in so long.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite safe place is walking my dogs. I always feel better after we take a walk.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Meetings are one of my safest places.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good ole' World of Warcraft is mine, a great "escape" from the drudgery/monotony of day-to-day life
Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

in the movie field of dreams when he steps foot on to the baseball field and things suddenly change is how i feel when i step foot into my garden. Its both a place and a state of mind in my case. I think in the end the state of mind is what i'm after but the garden helps get me there. Its a lot like going for a trail run or osmething too.

Its like a sense of isolation but inner calm its a peaceful healing place to be for me.

It seems like nature is also a common factor when i'm out in nature i find myself drifting back to that happy place.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel the best and safest during the hour or so that I sit in my bedroom reading, right before I go to bed.

I also feel safe and at home at most AA meetings.

I still have anxiety anywhere else that I go - but on a scale from 1 to 10 it is usually around a four. Six months ago when I first got sober it was always between eight and ten, 24/7.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
I feel the best and safest during the hour or so that I sit in my bedroom reading, right before I go to bed.

I also feel safe and at home at most AA meetings.

I still have anxiety anywhere else that I go - but on a scale from 1 to 10 it is usually around a four. Six months ago when I first got sober it was always between eight and ten, 24/7.
I'm glad to hear your situations improving!! thats good stuff!!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Long drives in the country with the windows down.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My real safe place is a state of mind which comes from constant contact with God and the deep knowledge that He is in charge and that I can access Him in my daily affairs (not literal ones, of course).

As far as physical places which make me feel really good, I would have to include our farm (which is agrarian beauty and splendor) and going to car races (which I have been doing since I was a young boy).

I would also add AA meetings to the list, because I have gotten so much wisdom from attending them.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The woods and, the further into them the better. I love the sound of the wind blowing through the leaves. The smell of dead leaves in the Fall. And, never knowing if or what animal you'll encounter.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm finding that the longer I am sober, the more safe places I experience. But if I had to choose one, it would be my daily workouts, long run/walks around the beautiful neighborhood I live. We recently moved here and I love exploring all of the different areas on foot.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

-The 20 min or so before bed while I'm reading or on SR
- On my bike out in the woods
-When I look over and see my wife smile and know she's really happy in that moment
Old 05-05-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just about anywhere. In the beginning it was riding my bike for a few hours. Kept my mind off of stressful things. Now I feel fine just sitting in the car waiting on my girl to come back from some store.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I love walking and try to do it every day. Really clears the head and it's helped me lose weight too!