Notices

I think I had a spiritual experience...

Old 05-03-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Lightbulb I think I had a spiritual experience...

I met with my new sponsor for the first time yesterday. We went through some of the steps. I got too the 3rd step and he asked if I was willing to do anything to stay sober and I said yes so he suggested we get on our knees in public outside of the starbucks and do the 3rd step prayer. I agreed and we did it in front of many people walking by. It was raining a little and our knees got wet. Afterwards I can only explain it as being one of the most peaceful experiences I have ever felt. It was like time stopped for a minute and I had a moment of clarity. He said I never have to drink again, I felt my obsession leave. I am hoping this was not just a pink cloud moment. I start 4th step tomorrow and thats the one I have got hung up on before but I am determined to do it and the rest of the steps. He is old school and goes right through them then to 12th stepping. I am very excited to see where this journey leads me. Thanks for reading, hope you have a great day!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is such power in prayer.

"When two or more are gathered . . . "
Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was a very emotional experience that you shared with another person. Emotions can fade and change, return or not return.

When I was "saved" last August, it helped me to quit, but the emotional buzz of having made that great big spiritual shift wore off. I didn't feel as good any more and after six months of feeling like a failure as a Christian, I gave up on sobriety.

I am not sure how we go about maintaining that feeling or staying in that higher place..
Old 05-03-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a pretty moving experience Steve and I'm happy that you've found some peace along the way. I don't think it really matters if it's caused by a "pink cloud" or not...it's a profound feeling and one you can always think back to.

I can't say I've ever had a similar experience - but I do remember the day that I quit drinking the last ( and hopefully final ) time. When I woke up that morning I simply knew I had to quit drinking. I had been binging for at least a couple of weeks over the holidays, literally drinking from about 9am until I passed out each and every night. Not sure why that day was any different from the others but something changed and I simply knew that that day was the day I had to quit...that moment. I still remember it very vividly almost 5 years later.

You've come a very long way in your time here on SR - congratulations and thank you for sharing.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Steve...that's incredible! Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did some of my Step work at a library with my sponsor. The reason we were there was because he had to work a blood drive and afterwards we hung out in a room at the library.

Other people saw us get down on our knees and pray while doing Step Seven - asking God to humbly remove my shortcomings. I felt great when I left the library. I continue to feel good the more and more I pray and ask for God's help.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
under new management

what a beautiful experience, Steve

God is good!
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

About your experience from the Big Book

" This was only a beginning, though if honestly and humbly made, an effect, sometimes a very great one, was felt at once."

How to keep it going, from the Big Book.

"Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions."

Well done Steve. The best is yet to come, and it will come if we don't delay.

Sounds like you have found a really good sponsor.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prayer is the only thing that got me sober. I continue to thank God for life each and every day.
Thanks for sharing steve.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I can tell - there's a light around your avatar

Those experiences became cumulative for me leading to an awakening. After all , I certainly was asleep.

It's a beautiful prayer and among my favorites - the prayer of StFrancis I find holds many truths as well.

Keep working my man - yer doing well
Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Buy him another drink of his choice there!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
MrBrad

What an odd story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love this. Thank you so much for posting it. I was a 20+ year drinker. Eight to 16 drinks almost every day. I never maintained any serious sobriety. Not too long ago, after a very bad, ugly night. I woke up absolutely horrified, terrified and physically ill. I got into the tub to try and get ready for work. I started crying uncontrollably and begging God, as I had many times, to free me from this affliction. Or kill me. I didn't care which. I just needed it to stop.

I drank a few more times after that but my heart felt different and I knew things were changing. I quit for good June 14, 2016= Have not had a drop or any insurmountable cravings since then. I go to an addiction doctor, read SR and pray every day. Especially with immense gratitude. I have never once not been completely moved by the changes in me. Life isn't close to perfect but it is bearable. I have found my natural recovery has included many of the traditions and beliefs of AA. But there's many different paths. I wish you continued success. God bless!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You had a spiritual experience, most definitely. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you doing now, SteveAlex?

Continuing joyful, I hope.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sounds great, Steve! I had my "moment of clarity" on Day 1 as I was lying in the ER due to an alcohol fueled panic attack. I can't really describe it, other than to say that I truly feel my obsession was lifted at that moment. I'm now nearly 8 years sober, so it obviously stuck with me.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
How are you doing now, SteveAlex?

Continuing joyful, I hope.

Very well. Thanks for asking. Going to a meeting tonight then meeting with my sponsor to start the dreaded 4th step.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's great!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, Steve.

It gave me goose bumps to read it.

I think that God entered your life, as we request in the 3rd step prayer (which I say everyday, along with the 7th step prayer and several others).

This is what recovery is all about.

You have a first class sponsor, too, which I am sure you know.