Notices

is it weird.....

Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it weird.....

is it weird to have anxiety attacks and general depression on your anniversaries? almost every one since about 6 months i've been like this...today is 14 months and i could barely get out of the house to walk the dam dog.

?????????

thanks for listening.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Bulldog on 14 months!!!

I had anxiety bad at my 1 year. My sponsor said he had a bad panic attack where he went to hospital thinking he was having a heart attack at his 10 year.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
is it weird to have anxiety attacks and general depression on your anniversaries? almost every one since about 6 months i've been like this...today is 14 months and i could barely get out of the house to walk the dam dog.

?????????

thanks for listening.
I'd get squirrelly a week or 2 before my yearly anniversary for some time. it was all fear that I wouldn't make it to that anniversary date. that I would drink before. that happened for a few years.
4/23 is my anniversary. talked to a friend a bit a few days beforehand about it this year- about how could it be possible I managed 12 straight years sober and what a blessing it was. but no more squirrelyness of fear before.
im not even sure I remembered it was my anniv on my anniv.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, I think anxiety is much more common around dates like birthdays, holidays, anniversaries. For me it's definitely true - it's normal to be anxious during those times and if you have anxiety of course it's going to increase an already high anxiety level.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Waking up ....that is all it takes for me!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I don't count. Some one recently used an analogy of a prisoner counting their days of confinement (hattip Tatsy) , I'll let the addiction ( the Beast and its AV worry about keeping a detailed account of ITs deprivation) I freed myself from IT, I'm not counting, just enjoying my freedom.
Birthdays on the other hand , cause some 'disturbances', lol got the big 5-0 coming up , yikes
Old 05-01-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

My eldest sister gets like that - Big Congratulations on 14 Months
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown View Post
Waking up ....that is all it takes for me!
i think reading your post was the first laugh i had all day. i needed that. thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

to everyone else...thank you so much for relating. it helps me know that i'm not alone....that's HUGE.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In 25 years I rarely feel happy on an anniversary. First of all, it's just another day. But secondly it's painful to relive my drinking.

What works much better is to compare yourself to yourself.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have found that certain months/milestones brought different noticeable emotions or states. The only day I even envisioned drinking was literally 90 days. Eight months- I was really up. Nine months- literally, day of- I got inexplicably ornery with my beloved boyfriend and family right before a celebratory dinner. One year- all positive. Now, I have been dealing with anxiety over the past couple of weeks and I am 14+. Getting through it with my (AA) program and tools helps me level out more quickly,and also have fewer of the more extreme emotions, good or bad.

I just have to keep going and know I can handle what comes thanks to my program and sober tools.