Notices

Early Detox & the heart

Old 04-29-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early Detox & the heart

Having just finished my first full week sober in more than 10 years. I have a million questions about what I am going through - if anyone can relate - your remarks are welcome.

Background
"functioning" alcoholic drank for 15 years daily in the past 10yrs approx 15 shots per day of Gin or something hard.

having just completed day 7 sober - the detox has me swinging between feeling great and hungover. I am not tempted to run back to drink but what my body is going through is very unsettling. Heart can race up for no reason, dizzy bouts like crazy, waves of extreme fatigue and nausea. This is worse than any hangover I have had in years.

I will be sitting there working and I feel like I am about to pass out in to sleepy land. I find myself laying down and relaxing often to mitigate these symptoms.

All stories experiences are welcome thank you.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Charlzwinter,

I would go get examined by a doctor. Be honest with your drinking and your sudden stopping it's relevant.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Charlz
I think anything heart related - get it checked out by the Dr.

Be safe. Have peace of mind.

D
Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

doc
Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to every symptom you describe. In my case it was always accompanied by profuse sweating. But as I have also discovered after many attempts, every detox can be different, some being worse than others, with different levels of symptoms, ranging form the almost non existent to the 'lay you up in bed' variety.
How long it will last can also vary, but allow a couple of weeks at least for your body chemistry to start to normalize
If, as others have said, you in any way get concerned, take yourself off to an ER or Urgent Care. Just remember withdrawals can be serious, and as my old Dad used to remind me, "Death can be Fatal"
Old 04-30-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Charlie,

The safe answer is Dr.

I can't offer medical advice, my experience is all I am allowed to offer.

In my experience......

I had constant heart palpitations when drinking and detoxing.

I had fear and paranoia standing upright without holding onto something for weeks.

Going down unfamiliar stairs without a hand rail near still scares me.

I had agoraphobia for months.

Nothing was ever diagnosed by a Dr.

I would have lost my job when he diagnosed me as an alky.

In my opinion and experience...

Now you are dealing with brain damage healing and body healing.

I drank harder than you at certain times for sure.

The biggest mistake you can make is to drink again in the near future.

That will send you into another hellish health tailspin and start you over on detox.

Eat when you crave. Sweets trick your brain.

Getting free has been a living hell. I use those memories every day and SR to stay clean.

I will never ever drink again. It is poison to me.

I suffer from some PTSD from the trauma of my kindling, but overall I feel amazing as I type this.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would definitely go see a doctor. I have some bouts of palpilations and breathlessness, but I have pinpointed it to anxiety and have finally found what triggers it. I am 5+ week sober (and no smoking!) and plan on getting a full check up real soon.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

i had simlier issues but mine where mainly anxiety / panic driven tho that could have been withdrawels manifesting as anxiety and panic and of course the dizzyness and so on. it took =me a long time to learn that the dizzyness in my case could be low sugar so eating someting sweet seems to help me.

rest is par for the course and cant hurt to see a doc.

takes a while for our bodies to sort it all out. its crazy the toll regulary drinking takes on the body.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charlzwinter View Post
the detox has me swinging between feeling great and hungover. I am not tempted to run back to drink but what my body is going through is very unsettling. Heart can race up for no reason, dizzy bouts like crazy, waves of extreme fatigue and nausea. This is worse than any hangover I have had in years.
With the exception of sometimes "feeling great," AND the ability to actually sleep, I would say this is classic withdrawal symptoms.

Additionally, you have to remember that alcoholics are often lacking in essential nutrition, have very disruptive sleep cycles/circadiam rythym, and a depressed part of the brain that now goes into overdrive once the booze is stopped. Most are malnourished, while being mentally/physically exhausted and highly stimulated at the same time. This would make the healthiest person in the world feel like hell.

I went to both an urgent care center, and a doctor's office with bad withdrawals and they flat out refused to treat me, telling me it could only be done in the emergency room. I didn't want to do that but glad as hell I did.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cannot emphasis enough the importance of seeing a doctor when going through the detox process.

Detox can be life threatening.

I have been told I can never again detox on my own as it causes life threatening heart problems for me and I need to be monitored. That said TO CONTINUE DRINKING WILL ALSO CAUSE THOSE SAME PROBLEMS.

Every person is different and every detox is different, but it is far better to go to the doctor or the emergency room than to end up with a return to drink or a stroke.

Hope you find the correct solution for you!