Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The geographic 'cure' for alcoholism, what do you think ?

Notices

The geographic 'cure' for alcoholism, what do you think ?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In my experience there was no such thing as a geographic cure.

Towards the end of my addiction, a few years prior, I'd relocated from the city (which I detested) to an idyllic countryside home. I told my husband, I'll stop drinking when we buy that place, I'd set my heart on it, it was what I wanted more than anything (apart from sobriety). So we moved in and I absolutely loved living there....so what did I do, I drank to celebrate my happiness! Madness! Then I drank more and more, despite the scenic surroundings and wildlife I loved - until I couldn't really see the beauty, because I was in an eyesight and senses, veiled stupor.

Years later, as we encountered financial problems, due to my continued drinking, my idyllic home was placed in jeopardy; but did that stop me drinking? No.

Finally, last year I stopped and thankfully, I've managed to retain this home. It's even better, when not drinking. Even early morning sunlit cobwebs on the lawn, something that simple, fill me with joy - when drinking, I didn't even notice them!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Geographic cure, I don't know if I would call it that. But I had to move away fromk my farm, to a small city where I went from having next to no support, to having tons of support and treatment options all within 7 minutes of me.

The farm and the surrounding small towns were definitely a bad atmosphere for me. Moving here and making better decisions with good support helped to smooth the way for me to building some sobriety .
Old 04-28-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm sure it's been said already, but this is ridiculous because where ever you go, there you are. You're an alcoholic. You will still have stress in your life whether you live in a high rise, on a ranch or on a beach.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
You will still have stress in your life whether you live in a high rise, on a ranch or on a beach.

.......and, if there isn't any to be found you'll find a way to create some. I know I did. Until I realized it wasn't external factors that were really causing my problem. Added to it? Sure, but it still all came down to me.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Right.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought twice that I 'fixed' my drinking problems by moving away. And yes, for a while it looked like it. I didn't drink daily anymore and felt excited and happy about the change, I was motivated and kept myself busy with building up a new life, renovating, making new friends... only to ruin all of that a short while later (2-3 years) by drinking daily again, isolating and not caring about anything in life
Old 04-29-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I've honestly never tried the geographic cure, because I've always known that it wouldn't end up working for me. I still live in the same city I was born, and I have a lot of ties and responsibilities here. These are the very things that keep me accountable and sober.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I moved a lot in my life but never managed to escape my alcoholism. I remember renting an isolated forest hut to live in peace by nature hoping it would solve my drinking problem. Already after finishing carrying all my forniture inside and putting everything up i celebrated with a bottle of wine!

I have recently moved again and feeling more serious about my recovery now than ever I hope at least if i focus I might use it to my advantage. I have no drinking buddies in my new location, and no regular pub to tempt me. Starting in my local AA next week will be my first social activity outside work, so at least i have a chance to buid a suber social network. Often before moving to a new place where I knew nobody would trigger drinking also because i would tell myself i wouldnt get any friends sitting at home so better head off to the bar to get to know people. Living far away from family and loved ones will be a challenge too, though, i am sure, in recovery.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
!

I have recently moved again and feeling more serious about my recovery now than ever I hope at least if i focus I might use it to my advantage. I have no drinking buddies in my new location, and no regular pub to tempt me. Starting in my local AA next week will be my first social activity outside work, so at least i have a chance to buid a suber social network. Often before moving to a new place where I knew nobody would trigger drinking also because i would tell myself i wouldnt get any friends sitting at home so better head off to the bar to get to know people. Living far away from family and loved ones will be a challenge too, though, i am sure, in recovery.
good on ya,ST!
I learned that the members of AA are just friends I haven't met yet. its been pretty nice to have friends to go out and do stuff with and that stuff doesn't revolve around alcohol.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn't drink because of the location, I drank because I'm an alcoholic. And, there is a huge incidence of alcoholism in bucolic rural areas. The disease travels with us.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sounds like you still think those things are why you drank. They're not. Did drinking on any of those things change what was happening? No. But you stil, did it. There are plenty of people living there who don't react to those things by drinking alcoholically. If you'd been living in Atlantic, chances are you'd have still drank alcoholically just like August did. You'd have just found different excuses - celebratory or to commiserate.

The problem lies within us, in exactly the same place as the solution does - our will. It's all a matter of what we choose to do with it. Cling to it (self-will) or hand it over (willingness).

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB