SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   hopes and dreams (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/408560-hopes-dreams.html)

Doubter 04-25-2017 12:08 PM

hopes and dreams

Can your hopes and dreams be achieved if your an alcoholic?

doggonecarl 04-25-2017 12:13 PM

A recovered alcoholic? Yes.

doggonecarl 04-25-2017 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6429148)

That said, there are a lot of impediments to hopes and dreams that have nothing to do with one's alcoholism. But being sober is a great foundation to build them on.

ScottFromWI 04-25-2017 12:19 PM

Being sober makes it a heck of a lot easier for certain.

For me, drinking guaranteed sorrow and pain for me and all those around me. So in a sense, getting sober was a hope and dream of mine that has already come true.

waynetheking 04-25-2017 05:45 PM

I would say no. If you're drunk all the time how can you achieve anything?

Gottalife 04-25-2017 05:53 PM

A recovered alcoholic can go anywhere and do anything that free men can do, except drink and maybe one or two other things personal to us.

Getting recovered is the first thing. Hanging around the rooms, blaming the disease for every lapse in behaviour or judgement, walking on eggshells thinking tomorrow maybe the day you drink, finding a host of excuses why we cant do this or that...that is not recovered.

Walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the universe on the broad highway, free from self, free to do anything, that is recovered.

Doug39 04-25-2017 06:23 PM

As an active alcoholic I thought my hopes and dreams were to get a good job, get rich and be able to overindulge in every bad vice I wanted. But the more money I made I was never satisfied; I wasn't chasing a dream life I was running from real life.

Since I got sober I am happier and healthier then I have been in almost 30 years. My mind is clear and I like myself again. That is a dream come true.

PhoenixJ 04-25-2017 06:38 PM

Yep

NYCDoglvr 04-26-2017 09:50 AM

Oh my God, yes! If you can stop drinking you can do anything. During sobriety (25 years) I've seen the world, written two books started two companies whereas when I came in I wasn't functioning. I did it by working the steps and taking suggestions. A lot of very hard work, of course, but I asked for help. If I hadn't I'd still be in the same place.

SoberCAH 04-26-2017 09:57 AM

There was nothing I could do in the later stages of my alcoholism, except hang out in bars and liquor stores.

Since I have been sober, I got the life I always wanted and much, much more.

tomsteve 04-26-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 6429141)
Can your hopes and dreams be achieved if your an alcoholic?

a practicing alcoholic? I wasn't able to.

an alcoholic in recovery?
anything can be accomplished.
seems recovery brought me a different perspective on my hopes and dreams. they aren't what they were when I was drinkin

Fitcher 04-26-2017 12:01 PM

I'd say no, since the very nature of alcoholism revolves around hiding from trauma and masking the pain it is causing rather than confronting it and taking the steps need to begin healing.

Wholesome 04-26-2017 12:09 PM

I think addiction becomes the focus of one's life to the point that everything you do revolves around it. Once it's taken out of the picture one is free to pursue whatever you want, or not. Up to the individual.

2ndhandrose 04-26-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doug39 (Post 6429689)
Since I got sober I am happier and healthier then I have been in almost 30 years. My mind is clear and I like myself again. That is a dream come true.

Beautifully stated. I totally agree!

:c011: :c011: :c011:

Doubter 04-27-2017 06:01 AM

Thanks guys for the responses. I believe an alcoholic (recovering or not) needs to focus on staying sober long term before he wants his hopes and dreams to become a reality.

I've haven't managed even close to a year yet, since 2000.

ScottFromWI 04-27-2017 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 6431918)
Thanks guys for the responses. I believe an alcoholic (recovering or not) needs to focus on staying sober long term before he wants his hopes and dreams to become a reality.

That sounds like a good plan to me Doubter, I wish you the best of luck in getting there. You can still have hopes and dreams though, we all need something to look forward to, right?

August252015 04-27-2017 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6429148)

YES. Beyond yes. Mine now look different than any I had before, but they are absolutely coming true.

tomsteve 04-27-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 6431918)

I've haven't managed even close to a year yet, since 2000.

personally I had to focus on staying sober today. some days early on I had to focus on staying sober one minute at a time.
even then, though, I had hope- hope that I could get through one minute. hope that I could get through one hour. hope that I could get through one day.
eventually, those minutes turned to day,then to weeks, then to months, then to years.
eventually in there- within the first 6 months, I diodnt have to focus on staying sober any more. I didn't have the mental obsession.
then I just had to focus on the underlying issues that alcohol was a symptom of.

thomas11 04-27-2017 06:55 PM

Interesting question. I know a fair number of alcoholics who have achieved a lot in their lives. Whether they achieved their hopes and dreams....I don't know, I never asked them. I do believe you have a much greater chance of achieving your hopes and dreams if you are not addicted to a substance.