Notices

Beer at Work.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Beer at Work.

As I approach the 9 month mark, I'm beginning to notice certain things that didn't bother me initially now start to depending on my mood. One of those things happened today and made me very grumpy.

In our office if we hit certain sales goals the office gets a beer or two towards the end of the day. Let's say I used to love when we hit our numbers. Still do! Now it's because it keeps us in business though, not for the end of day treat. My problem is that nine times out of ten it doesn't bother me in the slightest when this happens but one time out of ten something in my brain snaps and I have to sit there having a mental battle for the rest of the day. It's exhausting. I don't mean to turn into a dick and it sort of depresses the hell out of me. I've always been a sort of reclusive person in that I enjoy time by myself a lot more than in the company of other people, but whenever something hits me like this does the very few times it does, I just want to go into a cave and stay there. I can't even call it a trigger because it doesn't make me want to drink, it's almost as if I'm somewhat jealous of their reward and leisure while I have to sit there with this neon sign blinking in my eyes that says "alcoholic". I'm wondering what your experiences with similar situations are and how you've all handled them? Like I said, usually it doesn't bother me, but once in a blue moon it's a day ruiner.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

can you grab a different kind of treat for you? an ice cream? something to reward yourself? Leave an hour early?

I hear what you are saying, and I get you do not want to be a grump/stick in the mud, but you are not really missing out on anything. Alcohol is such a dead end. I used to think of beer as a reward for a job well done. I am so glad I do not see it that way any more. Now I see my sobriety as an unfair advantage over the people who still drink at my work. I am so much stronger and with it now.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay strong Steve!! I'm a sales guy too and can relate! Kudos on 9 months, that's the only number that counts! One year is right around the corner!!!

Get away from the desk and take a walk, go get a cup of coffee or a Red Bull!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like the ice cream idea!!!! Here are my short and sweet other thoughts: if this only happens 1/10 times, that's great! Celebrate that, for me it took some time to really accept that I don't "want" to Drink. And give yourself time to get used to the sobriety thing. Maybe next year it will only happen 1/20 times. Me, I just hit one year, and I still avoid work outings (or any kind) that are too booze-centric. I take it one day at a time, but I sometimes still have that internal temper tantrum, that whiny brat inside that thinks "wah, I wanna drink!! Why can't I just have a drink?!" And I feel the feelings and move on, and the feelings/thoughts disappear. Patience!
Old 04-24-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve76453 View Post

In our office if we hit certain sales goals the office gets a beer or two towards the end of the day. Let's say I used to love when we hit our numbers.
I'd be grumpy 9/10 times if this happened in my office. This sort of event also brings with it the "oh you can have one beer!" and explaining yourself to people you don't really want to open up to. I hate these situations.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

While I don't get grumpy about it, I can relate to the "work drink" situation because I work in a restaurant (this also happened in my own former sales life years ago before I was drinking alcoholically). Just last week, everyone got samples of new wines on our drink menu - trays were brought out with small glasses and passed around- and I just "skipped" the staff meeting. Same thing with a new beer not long ago.

My managers do know I don't drink (a couple know the longer story/that I am an actual alcoholic not just a non-drinker) so it's ok - can you tell anyone at work, btw?- and my solution in theseng scenarios is to keep busy with something else. Whatever that might mean for you, it might help take your focus off of you (make a phone call to a client or whatever term y'all use, for example) and get through this 1/10 time situation more easily.

Keep going. I have found that a lot of things don't require explanation that I've built up as needed in my mind, and most of the time, people don't care that I don't participate or that I don't drink at all.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Is this job your permanent job or would you
be willing to make some changes in possibly
something different?

Sometimes, we realize that once we have
enter recovery and learn that alcohol is a
poisonous substance to us, we no longer
want to be around it on a daily bases.

In recovery we try to achieve health, happiness,
and honesty in all areas of our life. Today I
choose to not put myself in situations where