Notices

Emetophobia

Old 04-23-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

Emetophobia

First of all, I called the ER and they said not to worry. But I'm worried.

I ate a good portion of a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's before my fiancee took a bite. She noticed something odd about it that I hadn't, so she peeled back the breading to reveal a mainly raw piece of chicken sitting there.

I'm basically in panic attack mode, and I have been for hours. I seriously don't want to get sick. I have no idea how much raw chicken I actually consumed (my fiancee tells me it was very little, considering I ate around the outside) but I'm freaking out.

Has anyone been through this? I don't know what to do.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would trust what the ER told you, DeathBox.

If you begin to feel ill, call them back or see your doctor.

I have had bites of undercooked chicken before realizing it with no effects. Just keep an eye out for symptoms of illness.

Hope you can get some rest.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, the odds are good that if you were exposed to something it would have been salmonella but there are a whole bunch of varieties of it, most of it harmless. Our intestines and digestive systems are also pretty good about rejecting things that are toxic...if you're not vomiting or having diarrhea within six to 72 hours, odds are you're just fine. If we knew every critter we consumed on a regular basis we'd never eat again.

If you do start having symptoms...nausea, vomiting, cramps, fever...get thee to urgent care.

Dunno if this helps, but not long ago my elderly mother made me a meatloaf sandwich the weekend we moved them into assisted living. Having a lot on my mind, I ate most of it absent-mindedly before realizing it was mostly raw, with some nicely warmed edges around it where bacteria were no doubt enjoying the balmy climate by reproducing their little brains out.

I was fine. Odds are you will be, too. But if you're that worried, maybe call your doctor tomorrow?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chicken is good if it's been heated to over 165 degrees F (76 C) , even if its pink.

Chicken Still Pink After Cooking? Don't Panic | Kitchn

This rule has never let me down,

If it's cold or bloody, or if it ever happens again and it worries you, nuke it for a few seconds in the microwave...

Chef BoyarDee
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That does sound kind of nasty, but as others have said I bet you will be OK, calling the ER was not out of line at all. Our guts are pretty powerful!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember many years ago, my family was on vacation. We stopped at a burger King. My little brother, probably around 7 or 8 at the time was complaining that his chicken tenders "tasted weird". He was a complainer so we all basically told him to knock it off and eat your food. After a couple minutes of continued whining, my mom took a look at them. Completely freaking raw. He probably ate 2 of those at least. He was totally fine.
Calm down and listen to the ER.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Chef BoyarDee

Hahahahaha!

Good one Dee!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you DB?

D
Old 04-24-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wondering the same as Dee.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

Whew, thank you guys. It's been 34 hours (the CDC recommends waiting 72 hours, but it looks like 36 is typically the safe zone).

Thankfully I probably won't have to sue for hospital bills. I've never been served raw meat before, so I'm a little naive in trusting that food is cooked. Never again, lol.

If my fiancee hadn't taken a bite, I would have eaten two totally raw pieces, pseudodysphagia or not. Very thankful that didn't happen.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i hope you're feeling better, DeathBox. This fast food chain should be ashamed. Faced a bit of emetophobia myself after reading your post.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try to avoid fast food at all costs! As a kid I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken and A&W .....Both as a cashier and in the kitchen. I will spare you what I saw and know....it would curl your hair!!!! Glad you are ok.