Notices

stopping smoking after 2 week sober

Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stopping smoking after 2 week sober

Is it ok to quit smoking cigarettes, tobacco after just over two weeks sober or not?

My nurse said one at a time.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I used to say one at a time. I changed my view when I gave up smoking at more than twenty years sober. It was hell. Like going all the way back to step one. It seems smoking was my way of dealing with anger, and when I stopped it all came out. It took me three years to get through it.

Initially we thought it was depression. It wasn't till much later I met another long term sober alc who had exactly the same issue, and I managed to connect the dots. It seems I wasn't fully sober while still smoking.

The silly thing is I gave up once before, about two or three years sober, and it was relatively easy. I made a deliberate decision to start again. Stupidest thing I ever did.

Now I would suggest, if you feel up to it, by all means chuck the ciggies. Why go through all the drama twice.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Quit when you are ready. One at a time or the same time is a choice, but do quit. More alcoholics die from smoking related diseases than drinking.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to hear that it wasn't a good idea to quit both at the same time but I read recently that is was. You end up replacing with nicotine. It is best to do it at the same time. I did and I'm glad I did!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I quit as 6 months that was two years ago now. Stopping drinking gave me the faith that I could change many things if I had the desire. As with sobriety, half measures didn't work.

When?

To thine own self be true.......
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My last drink was on a Thursday and my last cigarette was 2 days afterwards. I am now past 4 weeks on both. It is possible. I will be completely honest, I still crave the cigarettes a lot more than drinking!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

your doing great coffeeinstead
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whatever works for you, I think. I started smoking again towards the end of my drinking days, and continued to smoke for 5 years after I quit drinking. Initially this was because I just didn't want to risk ruining my sobriety by driving myself nuts quitting smoking at the same time, but later it was just laziness. Been over a year smoke-free for me now!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave up the chewing tobacco, the dipping tobacco and the cigars when I went into treatment for my alcohol and drug problems.

I'm glad I quit all of the tobacco when I did, although a quality cigar would be nice after a great meal and some chewing tobacco or dip would be good when I'm working on the farm.

Never was a cigarette smoker.

You may want to listen to your nurse, doubter.

We're glad you're with us and posting.