SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Four days in and I cannot stop eating! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/408185-four-days-i-cannot-stop-eating.html)

Teetotaler56 04-19-2017 02:16 PM

Four days in and I cannot stop eating!

I'm not only craving sugary stuff, but crackers and just about anything . Can anyone relate? How long does this last, or does it vary per person?

biminiblue 04-19-2017 02:17 PM

Eat. It's good for you.

I ate a lot of carbs in early sobriety. I was drinking a lot of carbs before early sobriety.

You're okay, it will calm down. I know I needed the food.

SoberLeigh 04-19-2017 02:23 PM

Try not to worry.

Your body is healing and needs energy.

Remember to hydrate and rest, too.

Teetotaler56 04-19-2017 02:54 PM

Thank you for the answers and advice. I was trying to lose weight before quitting the rum. I hope I can get both the cravings for drink and food under control. One thing at a time, but I don't want to end up using food as an excuse to cope with not drinking. Whatever happens, I've gotta cut out the drinking for good. I'm tired of going round and round this same mountain and never getting anywhere.

Thanks especially for the advice on rest and hydration. Will do!

Forward12 04-19-2017 03:38 PM

I would pig out like crazy for a little while, mainly because I was living off of pretty much nothing but booze and nothing else.

thomas11 04-19-2017 05:52 PM

Food is your friend early on. And yes, I can relate. I ate like a horse once my stomach got straightened and craved real food instead of booze. I went through that cycle weekly for about two and half years.

SeaOfSerenity 04-19-2017 06:00 PM

alcohol has a huge amount of sugar in it so removing this source of energy is why youre eating more. be wary of eating a lot of refined sugar in its place as this will cause energy spikes and crashes when what you want is a steady release.
search a balanced diet, stick to that and you should find in time that your appetite evens out inline with your new diet.

JudicatorPanzer 04-19-2017 11:24 PM

It lasted about a month for me. But I liked it! Filling my stomach with real food and not just booze. I say enjoy it, it went away for me.

Madnellie 04-20-2017 01:40 AM

I was the same for the first couple of months, but as I posted in another thread after I while my eating went back to normal, I lost all my "beer weight" and I'm now the lightest I've been in almost 20 years. So try not to worry, things will settle down soon enough :)

Teetotaler56 04-20-2017 04:20 AM

Thank you all for the advice! I'm going to quit worrying about it and go with the flow for now. But, as advised, I'm going to pick up some fruit today and try to get off (the majority of) these sugary sweets. :tyou

SimplyFree 04-20-2017 04:51 AM

I would binge eat when I binge drank. I just couldn't remember eating all of it. My family would comment on it though. I agree that hydration is super important.

Teetotaler56 04-20-2017 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by SimplyFree (Post 6420105)
I would binge eat when I binge drank. I just couldn't remember eating all of it.

Oh yes, I've done that many times, too.

Jack465 04-20-2017 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity (Post 6419625)
be wary of eating a lot of refined sugar in its place as this will cause energy spikes and crashes when what you want is a steady release.

This. Try not to go overboard on the refined/added sugar. You will eventually become dependent on it to feel normal... just like with alcohol.

Sadly I found this out the hard way. :headbange

Teetotaler56 04-20-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jack465 (Post 6420123)
Try not to go overboard on the refined/added sugar. You will eventually become dependent on it to feel normal... just like with alcohol.

Thank you, Jack. That's my fear. I don't want to trade one addiction for another. I'm being careful with the refined sugars today.
:thanks

RapidMan 04-20-2017 05:51 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the eating phase of withdrawal, it'll all figure itself out.

Remember your body has just lost a good percentage of it's daily calorific intake. For me a bottle of gin a day, was in itself 1500 calories, nearly half a man's daily requirement.

Those calories still have to come from somewhere, and as your body's chemistry adjusts, it's saying 'feed me'.

So eat when your body tells you, but just try to bulk up on relatively good stuff. Buy in a ton of fruit, grapes are great since you can snack, likewise get some wheat crackers.

Try to remember what a decent diet was before the drink, start eating a regular breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I was a morning drinker, so just replacing a couple of gins with a decent breakfast made a world of difference.

One last thought. You may also be experiencing the perception of eating a lot, but just try to think 'if' maybe the times you grab a snack, would have also been the times you would have been pouring a drink. May help you reconcile in your mind that the food, is more replacement than an addition.

SimplyFree 04-20-2017 06:05 PM

A bottle of Porte wine was 1200 calories, plus the binge eating......here's to hoping I knock off a few pounds.....lol!

Teetotaler56 04-21-2017 02:22 AM

RapidMan, Thank you for all the great advice. You're right, the food cravings do come during drinking hours. I would imagine I was drinking approx. 1000 calories a day in rum, give or take. Whoa!, to think of it! Yesterday was a bit better with the alcohol and food cravings, thankfully. :thanks