SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   First meeting feeling positive (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/408176-first-meeting-feeling-positive.html)

Lpg 04-19-2017 09:18 AM

First meeting feeling positive

Going to head along to a meeting tonight for the first time. Feeling positive and hopeful. Little apprehensive but I guess that's normal to feel? Ive been tagged in 3 drinking memes on social media today, says alot about what people think when they think about my lifestyle. Normally I'd laugh it off but not today. Anyway feeling hopeful none the less.

Thanks lpg

Berrybean 04-19-2017 09:24 AM

Not hopeless. There is always hope. Booze just hides it from us.

Just posted on your other thread. How long til your meeting?

Lpg 04-19-2017 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Berrybean (Post 6418886)
Not hopeless. There is always hope. Booze just hides it from us.

Just posted on your other thread. How long til your meeting?

It's at 19.30 I'm in the UK so it's 17.30 here now. Feeling nervous but I just need to rip off the plaster. Getting through the doors for the first time will be the hardest I imagine.

PhoenixJ 04-19-2017 09:39 AM

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Shows courage- moving out of your comfort zone and doing something different. Well done- share how you felt. PJ

Lpg 04-19-2017 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6418923)
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Shows courage- moving out of your comfort zone and doing something different. Well done- share how you felt. PJ

I'm scared but it's not as scary as where I was on Monday night. I'll prob cry if I speak I'm most nervous about that.

Berrybean 04-19-2017 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lpg (Post 6418927)
I'm scared but it's not as scary as where I was on Monday night. I'll prob cry if I speak I'm most nervous about that.

Well, plenty of people cry at their first meetings so don't worry too much about it if you do. It is worrying walking in - I think everyone remembers their first meeting for that bit and then the rest goes a bit of a blur because we're so full of adrenaline. You don't need to speak at all of you don't want to. And when the readings get passed round you don't have to read aloud either, you can just pass the card on to the next person and say 'pass'. In some meetings they won't even give it to a newcomer in case it's too much pressure, so don't feel like that's a slight, it'd just be so you can sit back and listen.

Meetings start on the dot, so I'd suggest getting there ten mins early or maybe even a little more. They'll most likely have leaflets and stuff you can look at which might be helpful.

Does the meeting have a name on the listing? Big Book or General Share or similar? That'd give more ide of the format of the meeting.

I've never been to an unfriendly AA meeting yet, so I'm confident this one will be as well.

Thinking of you. BB

Lpg 04-19-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Berrybean (Post 6418949)
Well, plenty of people cry at their first meetings so don't worry too much about it if you do. It is worrying walking in - I think everyone remembers their first meeting for that bit and then the rest goes a bit of a blur because we're so full of adrenaline. You don't need to speak at all of you don't want to. And when the readings get passed round you don't have to read aloud either, you can just pass the card on to the next person and say 'pass'. In some meetings they won't even give it to a newcomer in case it's too much pressure, so don't feel like that's a slight, it'd just be so you can sit back and listen.

Meetings start on the dot, so I'd suggest getting there ten mins early or maybe even a little more. They'll most likely have leaflets and stuff you can look at which might be helpful.

Does the meeting have a name on the listing? Big Book or General Share or similar? That'd give more ide of the format of the meeting.

I've never been to an unfriendly AA meeting yet, so I'm confident this one will be as well.

Thinking of you. BB

I'll maybe say at the start I'm not keen to speak. It's big book meeting, i wasn't sure what that meant.

Thank you

Berrybean 04-19-2017 10:24 AM

In a big book meeting they'll kick off with the formalities and any announcements. Then they'll read a bit of the big book (taking turns to read, but likely you'll choose not to do so for the first meeting). Then the people at the meeting take turns to share back their thoughts on what was read out.

The good thing about a big book meeting in my opinion is that the people there will all be there because they take their recovery seriously and work their program. If you decide to pursue AA and decide to get a sponsor at some point, a Big Book meeting is a good place to find one. They're often the saner meetings.

Often BB meetings have chips as well (not the ones with salt n vinegar, the little metal kind) so you may get a 24 hour chip. I kept mine in my pocket for a good while.

Teetotaler56 04-19-2017 10:32 AM

Lpg, I know you're going to do great at your first meeting. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you if you want to share afterward. You are gonna do great! :You_Rock_

SteveAlex 04-19-2017 10:36 AM

Make sure to report back here after :). Excited to see how it goes. I love meetings.

tomsteve 04-19-2017 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lpg (Post 6418918)
. Getting through the doors for the first time will be the hardest I imagine.

doors to my 1st meeting were the hardest to open and they were automatic doors. got easier after that

Lpg 04-19-2017 11:00 AM

Hmm I think I may hold off till Saturday and try one further out from where I live. The big book part has spooked me a bit. There is a meeting called young and sober on Saturday night that i think I'd feel more at ease about it.

Berrybean 04-19-2017 11:13 AM

Just go. Whatever meeting you go to the first one is going to be nerve wracking to get through the door. Just go get it over with. And go to the other one AS WELL.

Get on with ya. You can get chips on the way home. Or chocolate. Or both .

SoberLeigh 04-19-2017 11:15 AM

Why not try both!!! :)

Break the ice today!!!

SteveAlex 04-19-2017 11:37 AM

Go today LPG, you will feel so much better! The book meetings are just everyone reads a little bit out of the big book, they have books there, you can just pass if you dont want to read then they take turns talking about it then usually open it up for any discussion. You can just sit and listen if you want. You will feel so much better I promise!

Lpg 04-19-2017 11:42 AM

I will go Saturday for sure. Iv sat with my boyfriend and made a plan for the rest of the week/weekend to keep busy. The weekend will be tough that is usually the time when I start thinking about alcohol again, by Thursday/friday I'm in the pub after work. Iv been off all week sick from my last binge on Monday eve. Got some reading material for this eve... mental wellness, a spiritual journey finding you own way to healing depression anxiety and addictions. There's some powerful words in here.
Lpg

Dave42001 04-19-2017 06:35 PM

When you do go, I hope sooner than later... they ask if there's anyone here for for their first time just raise your hand and yea, this is my first meeting, they will offer you a desire chip to try our way of living for just 24 hours, accept if you choose..

The moment the chair person gives you the chip and a big hug, You will then become the most important person at the meeting!!!!!!

wishing you the best!!