Notices

What things do you do to cope with cravings?

Old 04-19-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What things do you do to cope with cravings?

I'm just starting Day 4. I was hanging by a thread yesterday, but made it through. The thing that has helped me through the most has been coming to these boards and reading/replying to others struggles.

Aside from that, the other day I bought an adult coloring book for the first time, along with a pack of colored pencils. I'm amazed how calming it is to just sit and color.

I enjoy cross-stitching, but have a bit of thumb tendonitis right now and holding the hoop is really painful. But with coloring, I can use my prominent hand only...it's calming and keeps my hands busy.

What do you do to avoid drinking? I could use some more ideas. Even if they aren't a fit for me, I'd love to hear the coping methods others use. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I like going for walks. They require no mental effort, but provide some physical release as well as I get to get outside of whatever 'fishbowl' I was stewing in.

I also like to remember that it was my past drinking that is causing my current cravings. My cravings are a sign that I am healing, so I can stop and think, "yep, a craving is exactly what an alcohol who has quit drinking is supposed to be feeling."
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I also like to remember that it was my past drinking that is causing my current cravings. My cravings are a sign that I am healing, so I can stop and think, "yep, a craving is exactly what an alcohol who has quit drinking is supposed to be feeling."
What a fantastic way of looking at cravings. I'm going to remember that. A craving is something to expect instead of look upon with dread. I like it! Thank you Jazzfish!

PS I must add that one thing I also used to cope yesterday was food! I've gotta nip that in the bud right now! Finding other coping methods today!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I like to keep a craving in perspective. It used to be that one would come and I would find it overwhelming. omg, Omg, OMG!

The sensation makes it seem like if I don't drink something horrible will happen. Reality is just the opposite.

Nothing establishes that contrast for me like taking out a piece of paper and pen and writing down the 5 worst things that will happen to me as a result of not drinking. Or at least trying to write down 5 bad things that will happen. I never get very far before I realize that what I am feeling is ridiculous - just a symptom of my addiction, and not worth spending any more time worrying about.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been trying to stay busy....going to the gym, taking kids to/from activities after school, shopping (even if I don't need anything) and playing games on my phone.

Tomorrow will be 28 days for me My husband who is still drinking, is amazed at my progress so far. (no cigarettes either) I hope he can give it a go to quit soon too.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nonsensical, i was having that OMG feeling yesterday, but I love your new way of looking at the cravings. Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

CoffeeInstead, Congratulations on being at Day 27 today! My husband also still drinks. He decided yesterday to start cutting back himself. I'm really proud of him for making that decision and hope he'll join me in quitting soon. Best wishes on your journey, and I hope your husband soon joins you, too!
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally drank all the time so I didn't really get specific "cravings" to drink, but my body and mind was completely out of whack for quite some time after I quit.

I think you are on the right track, and it's really important to remember that it's completely normal to feel this way, and that the cravings are only thoughts...you have 100% choice in how you react to them. The list of things "to do" instead of drinking is virtually limitless, but things that can help relax you are good choices right now. Taking a walk, reading a book, getting something to eat, taking a nap, planting some flowers, they are all positive reactions to your addiction flaring up. Because that's really all it is - your inner addiction/addict voice trying to tell you to drink. But you know better now, right?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Because that's really all it is - your inner addiction/addict voice trying to tell you to drink. But you know better now, right?
Absolutely right Scott! I appreciate the tips, too!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I try to remember that I never regretted "not" drinking. Sometimes I over think and complicate the simplicity of it.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Outside of the withdrawal process, I think cravings are the hardest thing to get through in early sobriety. I got through them them the same way I got through the withdrawals....just waited em out. Refused to give in. And as others will tell you after a few months it is so much easier.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I walked into the kitchen a few minutes ago and as soon as I touched the door on the fridge, I immediately wanted to fix a drink. I've come here to read posts and found these. I appreciate the feedback and tips more than I can say. I'm not giving in! I AM gonna do this! I'm eating us out of house and home by snacking..lol But I'll work on that after I work on this! I honestly think quitting drinking is harder than quitting smoking ever was. It's been years and I don't even think about smoking..I hope I can say that about alcohol in a few months, too!