SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Started drinking again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/408141-started-drinking-again.html)

futureve 04-18-2017 05:18 PM

Started drinking again

I started drinking again last night. I was seven days sober (except for the pot during the last two days.) I don't know how to do this. I am giving up.

Done4today 04-18-2017 05:21 PM

Dont give up Futureve!!! You're worth every attempt.

Gottalife 04-18-2017 05:24 PM

I am amazed it took two days after the pot. For me it was a matter of seconds.

I didn't know how to do this either, but when the misery was great enough, l made my way to AA, and found out how to do it from people who have done it. There is a solution, but it takes honesty, open mindedness and willingness.

I gave up too. Completely gave up the fight of trying to do everything my way. I admitted defeat, surrendered if you like. And from there the healing began.

PhoenixJ 04-18-2017 05:29 PM

You are not giving up. You posted here. Keep posting.
Support and empathy to you.

SteveAlex 04-18-2017 05:31 PM

Dont give up. Many are dead from this cycle and dont have the opportunity to change their lives. You deserve better.

MrMcTell 04-18-2017 05:35 PM

Sorry that you are struggling. Active addiction is hell. But it gets easier if you can get more sober time in the bank.

For me a big piece of the puzzle was reading some of the stuff on the secular connections forum and learning just the basics of AVRT. Try to think of any thinking that tends towards more drinking as your "addictive voice" trying to get you to drink again.

When you get the urge to drink, don't try to fight it with willpower, but recognize it as your addiction speaking and ignore it.

This helped me a lot in the early stages.

Dee74 04-18-2017 05:44 PM

I'm ot sue where you stand on AA or some other meeting based group like SMART or LifeRing but face to face support can often help.

Regardless of that. why don't you join the Class of April thread again lots of support there - post as many times as you need help in that thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-one-12.html

D

MarkTwain 04-19-2017 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by futureve (Post 6417866)
I started drinking again last night. I was seven days sober (except for the pot during the last two days.) I don't know how to do this. I am giving up.

It's great you're being honest with us, but do you hear what you're saying? You're trying to quit alcohol and smoke pot at the same time?

After five days, you started smoking pot and drinking. Now you are in the guilt, self-hate, victimized, and feeling-hopeless phase of the addiction cycle.

Once that wears down a little, the cycle calls for making a resolution not to drink and drug again. I know you've resolved not to drink and smoke pot before.

When that happens, why not start working a daily plan with the help of other people and break the addiction cycle you are in?

You don't have to drink and smoke pot you know.

August252015 04-19-2017 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gottalife (Post 6417874)
I am amazed it took two days after the pot. For me it was a matter of seconds.

I didn't know how to do this either, but when the misery was great enough, l made my way to AA, and found out how to do it from people who have done it. There is a solution, but it takes honesty, open mindedness and willingness.

I gave up too. Completely gave up the fight of trying to do everything my way. I admitted defeat, surrendered if you like. And from there the healing began.

Me, too.

You can do it. There are lots of ways - a program of action is key. Make today sober - just today. Then keep going. You've had a week- you can get more and stay there - make this your last chance.

Fitcher 04-19-2017 07:19 AM

Healing and recovery will begin when you change your attitude to, "I CAN do this", and begin coming to terms with whatever pain you have that makes being inebriated on booze and drugs so attractive.

When you're ready to do this, AA and professional counseling will likely be your best resources to help you on this journey.

thomas11 04-19-2017 10:17 AM

You haven't given up because you took the time to post here. Keep at this, every single day you work towards remaining sober is a day worth living. Just keep trying, learn and develop new plans.

Freedom17 04-20-2017 08:14 AM

I am starting over myself today...we can't give up.

Bunny211 04-20-2017 08:28 AM

Don't give up. This is very hard. Do you have a support network? Have you tried AA? I could NOT have done this on my own.

SnazzyDresser 04-20-2017 09:03 AM

Don't get discouraged, futureve. Keep at it, today's a new day you can stay sober in and get back on track.

SoberLeigh 04-20-2017 09:17 AM

Hope to hear from you, futureve.

Giving up can never be an option for us.

SoberHubby2k17 04-20-2017 09:29 AM

As previously mentioned, by posting here you didn't really give up. You're still struggling with the alcohol but it's crystal clear you have the desire to quit drinking. I am absolutely sure you have the strength and determination to fight your demons. Try following schedules and patterns and when the will to drink starts hitting in, find something else to do. Stay strong! We believe in you!

tomsteve 04-20-2017 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by futureve (Post 6417866)

welp, ya don't know what to do. that could very well be a good thing- at the point of desperation. the gift of desperation was a great thing for me. caused me to give up- to surrender. to admit alcohol( and every other drug) had me licked. the gift of desperation helped me see I couldn't get clean and sober on my own- that if I were to want to get clean and sober, I would have to reach out for help. the gift of desperation helped me reach out and start going to AA. that lead to working the program, which led to freedom from alcohol and a pretty nice life.

futureve, getting sober isn't easy. the only thing I can recall at about 7 days is......ummmm.....welp, honestly nothing more than I know I was a mess. but I was a sober mess!!:scoregood
i gave the process T.I.M.E. and fought the mental obsession- i didn't allow the thoughts to control my actions. i knew alcohol was no longer a viable option and it was only going to bring more gloom,dispair, and agony.
plus, i had faith in those people in AA- those that had been sober for some time. i had faith when they said I would get better so long as i followed a few simple suggestions.
staying sober has been easy and well worth every second of fight.

so, ya don't know how to do this, which i assume you mean living sober.
welp, at first it can be just a straight up bitch.
however
if your willing to work for it- no matter what recovery method- it WILL get easier.

Doubter 04-21-2017 04:44 AM

All I know from experience is that replacing addictions with other substances, drugs whatever you want to call them make you want more of that drug after running out.

Sometimes the cravings will be as bad as alcohol and if you can't get hold of that drug such as codeine, marijuana whatever will make you feel very uncomfortable, not being able to focus, concentrate on anything so first thing this type of person will do is buy a drink from the liquor store.

Source: I'm that type of person.

Staying of all substances is the rule of AA and NA.