SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   New to this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/408097-new.html)

Lpg 04-18-2017 03:39 AM

New to this

Hi there
Looking for advice, I'm 26 year old female who binge drinks twice a week to black out point. I'm aware I have a problem I can't drink alcohol without stopping and always out myself in dangerous situations. Last night was rock bottom, I ran away and was in woods and I wouldn't let my boyfriend find me. Once I'm in my black out state I become manic depressed and always talk about suicide or dark thoughts. I'm so scared when I hear everything back the next day but I seem to do it time after time. How do you stop alcohol without losing your friends I'm so young so going out is a huge part of my life but I realise it's going to end badly if I don't stop. Any advice is welcome. Thanks

SteveAlex 04-18-2017 03:45 AM

Welcome to SR. Have you considered an AA meeting?

Lpg 04-18-2017 03:51 AM

Thanks for replying. At this point I'd be willing to try anything. I'm so scared. I guess I've never thought I had enough of a problem for aa meeting.

Dee74 04-18-2017 04:05 AM

Hi lpg

It's a big decision to change your life - no one wants to be different and noone want s to lose the good parts of their life...

but, given all you have said, you're putting yourself in danger by drinking....and, if you keep drinking, as you get older you will lose friends and the good parts of your life, and you will be seen as different anyway.

Wouldn't it be best to make those changes on your terms? :)

I could never have dreamed the life I have now...I love myself and who I am and I love what I do.

I have a better social life than I've ever had - certainly better than when I drank - and I'm incredibly productive in work and play.

I wake up every day full of enthusiasm for what might be ahead.

and all I had to do was ouut down the bottle.

Some changes are good - I really hope you give yourself a chance to see that for yourself :)

D

Dee74 04-18-2017 04:13 AM

I merged your two threads btw lpg - you'll get more response this way and it'll be less confusing :)

D

Lpg 04-18-2017 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6416610)
I merged your two threads btw lpg - you'll get more response this way and it'll be less confusing :)

D

thank you 😘

Mattq2 04-18-2017 04:20 AM

Lpg,
Alcohol always changed my personality, usually in a negative way. I think if you can get some sober time many, many things will change for the better. Nice to meet you and welcome to the family

PhoenixJ 04-18-2017 04:25 AM

Lpg- welcome. Scary stuff, isn't it? SR is a very good starting point. The blackouts and abberant behaviour are unsafe. You also mentioned feeling manic- depressed. That really sounds like a visit to a doctor and further assessment may be a good idea. I have mental health issues- which were solved- for an hour or so with heavy drinking. They were always worse because the booze masked their effects on me. Meetings- AA/SMART 9I do both) are also a good idea- because regular face to face support for me is very necessary. I do not believe in luck or willpower- alone. Keep reading and posting. There are a lot of useful threads- one for Whining, a 24 hour check in, the month you joined (thus Class of April 2017). There is also a women's only thread. Keep posting, sharing, reading, growing.
Empathy and support to you. PJ

Lpg 04-18-2017 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mattq2 (Post 6416622)
Lpg,
Alcohol always changed my personality, usually in a negative way. I think if you can get some sober time many, many things will change for the better. Nice to meet you and welcome to the family

It's so scary how much it changes me. Thanks. I'm really hoping this can be a turning point for me

Teetotaler56 04-18-2017 04:36 AM

Welcome! I understand being afraid of losing your friends. But any friend you lose because you quit drinking wasn't much of a friend to begin with. My biggest regrets, especially when younger, were things I did while drinking. Like you, all my friends drank so I stayed right there with them. (None of them are around today.)Believe me, you don't want to get to be my age (53) and still be drinking and having regrets. Please stop now while you're young. Here I am, starting day 3 of my sobriety, so who am I to talk? I just know I wish I had quit years ago. I wish I could have realized then what I know now. You can do this, and I guarantee you, for any friends you may lose, you'll gain more along the way!

Lpg 04-18-2017 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6416628)
Lpg- welcome. Scary stuff, isn't it? SR is a very good starting point. The blackouts and abberant behaviour are unsafe. You also mentioned feeling manic- depressed. That really sounds like a visit to a doctor and further assessment may be a good idea. I have mental health issues- which were solved- for an hour or so with heavy drinking. They were always worse because the booze masked their effects on me. Meetings- AA/SMART 9I do both) are also a good idea- because regular face to face support for me is very necessary. I do not believe in luck or willpower- alone. Keep reading and posting. There are a lot of useful threads- one for Whining, a 24 hour check in, the month you joined (thus Class of April 2017). There is also a women's only thread. Keep posting, sharing, reading, growing.
Empathy and support to you. PJ

Hey thanks for the info. Yes it's very scary and makes me feel terribly alone. I defo have some underlying mental health issues I've tried lots of different things to try and help and i feel very let down by doctors. It's a loosing battle for me right now but I'm praying I can turn it around.

Lpg 04-18-2017 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Givingup54 (Post 6416641)
Welcome! I understand being afraid of losing your friends. But any friend you lose because you quit drinking wasn't much of a friend to begin with. My biggest regrets, especially when younger, were things I did while drinking. Like you, all my friends drank so I stayed right there with them. (None of them are around today.)Believe me, you don't want to get to be my age (53) and still be drinking and having regrets. Please stop now while you're young. Here I am, starting day 3 of my sobriety, so who am I to talk? I just know I wish I had quit years ago. I wish I could have realized then what I know now. You can do this, and I guarantee you, for any friends you may lose, you'll gain more along the way!

Hey well done on day 3. Stay strong. Yeah iv done some pretty worrying things while drunk I can't see this being a feeling I want to endure any longer. I can't be the person who has a few and leaves it at that. Praying that now is the time I can get some control of my life. Thanks for replying and hope your journey goes well x

Teetotaler56 04-18-2017 04:48 AM

Thank you Lpg! You stay strong, too. I really wish you well on your journey. I promise you won't regret quitting. :)

Fitcher 04-18-2017 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lpg (Post 6416563)
How do you stop alcohol without losing your friends...

Just my opinion, but friends who expect and encourage you to drink to blackout might not be the best type of friends to have?

Originally Posted by Lpg (Post 6416563)
I'm so young so going out is a huge part of my life...

If "going out" automatically equates to "getting blackout wasted" in your mind, maybe, just maybe, the root cause of your dilemma lies right there?

Lpg 04-18-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fitcher (Post 6417188)
Just my opinion, but friends who expect and encourage you to drink to blackout might not be the best type of friends to have?

If "going out" automatically equates to "getting blackout wasted" in your mind, maybe, just maybe, the root cause of your dilemma lies right there?

Yeah that's true they should defo not encourage me but I don't think they understand the seriousness of my drinking as I never tell them. And I say going out, I don't even have to be going out. Iv always done this since a teenager. Drunken depressive moods and drinking till I black out and have no clue what I'm saying or doing. It's going to be hard to change but I sincerely hope I can. Thanks for replying

SoberLeigh 04-18-2017 11:22 AM

Welcome, lpg, to SR; so glad you found us.

Stay close. We care.

Lpg 04-18-2017 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 6417289)
Welcome, lpg, to SR; so glad you found us.

Stay close. We care.

thank you. I'm glad to be on here.

Sudz No More 04-18-2017 02:58 PM

There is life after alcohol, we are all proof of it. Find someone to feel accountable to, someone you would hate to let down and ask them to keep you in check and not let you drink. For me it was a Psychologist that helped me feel accountable as I caution friends may be too lax or you may feel too easy with them to worry about breaking your promise. But for me, I was a paying customer and he was a professional and I was damned if I was to going to fail to him and feel like a loser. It worked and I stayed sober long enough to get past the mental impulses. One on One with someone is best in my opinion, AA works for many but please be mindful of the fact that people who choose AA usually make it a life habit. I wanted to be rid of alcohol in my life in whatever form including attending meetings in perpetuity . So I got off the booze with the help of one stranger keeping me in check and never looked back. I occasionally lurk here to keep myself honest but that is the limit of my future involvement with anything alcohol. Go for it, you can do it.

Redcx 04-18-2017 04:47 PM

Hi. I'm brand new to this as well. I'm 27 yo female who also would binge drink a few times a week. I'm currently on day 2 sober(although I still feel weird saying day 2 since I didn't drink everyday). I was never able to have one and would out drink most people around me, taking pride in it. It's a scary thought, but I think you're on the right road recognizing you need help. Don't worry about your friends; the true ones will be there for you regardless, and the ones who have an issue with you bettering yourself you don't need around. I hope you stick to your guns and seek help for your underlying issues. Much love to you.

Done4today 04-18-2017 05:20 PM

Welcome LPG and Redcx to SR. Congrats to both of you for taking steps to live a happy sober life. I too was a binge drinker. I wish I would have taking action in my 20s or even 30s to find sobriety. Sobriety is so much more than abstinence. I hope you both stick around long enough to find out. Good luck and many prayers.