Notices

Trying to stay soaber

Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to stay soaber

Hello I've been trying to quit alchohol, I used to be a very confident outgoing person but I believe the 3 years of exsessibe alchohol abuse has caused me to become very anxious. yesterday was my 7th day soaber, however last night I had severe anxiety and heart palpitations, I also stated getting obsessive thoughts I ended up having a couple of sips of whiskey... anyone know if this will counteract all my hard work and any tips on reducing these symptoms? I thought I was over the worst of it the first 5 days were easy, I felt kind of eurporic.

Thanks for any help
Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tom. Anxiety, depression, insomnia are all common in early sobriety. How long you have them and to what degree is individual. I have over 15 months sober and still experience anxiety now and then. I know how to deal with it better and drinking isn't one of my coping methods. Good luck and keep posting you'll get a lot of support here.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your speedy reply, sometimes my anxiety can be severe I have panic attacks, trembling and feel spaced out. This can come and go someday I feel elevated and other days it's terrible, first 5 days soaber felt amazing but the last to have been brutal anxiety wise. I have always had problems sleeping even as a child (now I'm 23). I really don't feel as depressed as I used to, I have sorted my life out in many respects, got away from a crowed that were heavily influenced by drugs etc. However over the last 3 years I have started drinking more which is when all the problems started getting worse.

Thanks Tom
Old 04-17-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your body is trying to detox. You brain is fighting this. To be safe with detox you should see a doctor. I got seizures.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tom, do you live with someone? If so, let them know what is going on. Kinda sounds like you may have had a seizure. I agree with PJ and would suggest go see your doctor. Another suggestion would be to eat a clean diet, lots of water, and get daily exercise outside. Don't let yourself isolate this could exaggerate depression and anxiety.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Tom nice to meet you well done on day 7

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - Anxiety Slayer
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety plagued me early on.
Here are some things that helped:
Taking a walk or getting exercise
Giving myself PERMISSION to be anxious. My sponsor told me "Anxiety won't kill you, but drinking will."
Reading a book or looking at the pictures in people magazine
A hot shower, a cup of decaf tea, and early bed
A good meal
Talking to someone who has been through this (AA meetings and talking to people who have been though this were, and are, my lifeline)

Remember, every time you hit the bottle you start at ground zero again. It never gets better. Hold your nose and crawl out of the sewers with us. It's better in the sunlight!