Notices

Smoking pot...

Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking pot...

I am adding a new thread and maybe, I am "exaggerating..." Maybe I shouldn't post that many times but you see, I need help. I haven't had a drink in 7 days but since Saturday night, I have been smoking pot! I couldn't resist I couldn't resist and right before giving in the drink, i came up with the very bright idea to smoke a little pot instead. I haven't stopped since then... I can't do this...
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I was high I wanted also to be drunk...when I was drunk I wanted also to be high.

When I was high stupid ideas like drinking again sounded really good.

When I gave up weed back in the early 2000s I drank more to compensate and 'feel good'.

Bad mistake cos I ended up back on both things...

If any of that is you as well, then I think common sense dictates you lay off the weed.

For me it was the same leaky boat on a sea of crud.

If you're struggling to get one hand free from the chains of addiction to alcohol wouldn't you want to free the other hand as well?

D
Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know quite a few people- gave up serious drugs. Replaced it with booze, or pot, or gambling, or sex. Post every time you feel like smoking. It is that instant reward. Pot is a very serious addiction to many. Some do it with over the counter meds- thinking it is okay because it is from a chemist. Can you get to meetings? Even just to get out of your own mind space- not to even listen sometimes helps.
Support to you.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When I was high I wanted also to be drunk...when I was drunk I wanted also to be high.

When I was high stupid ideas like drinking again sounded really good.

When I gave up weed back in the early 2000s I drank more to compensate and 'feel good'.

Bad mistake cos I ended up back on both things...

If any of that is you as well, then I think common sense dictates you lay off the weed.

For me it was the same leaky boat on a sea of crud.

If you're struggling to get one hand free from the chains of addiction to alcohol wouldn't you want to free the other hand as well?

D
Absolutely agree, absolutely... I was listening to Bob D who explains how he also did drugs to compensate for not drinking and that it would get so so bad that he would eventually start drinking again... What I am doing is a very bad idea, I know that. I am simply not finding the courage. I am someone who is very afraid.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Perhaps you should consider seeking some local help futureve? Like a recovery meeting or a counselor? It's a lot less scary if you are with people who understand and have been there before.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I think pot or not pot. I think the bigger issue is your AV is trading one substance for another and scrambling looking for its fix. Pot has many good medicinal benefits but our inner addicts could easily misuse it etc.. Its that obsession thing.

I went through this a lot when i sobered up. I went from supplement to supplement looking for a fix or cure as to why i felt the way that i did. I never found nothing. now it was beneficial i learned a lot and some stuff helped but the fix i needed was not going to be found in some other substance but rather inside of me.

if all you do is trade substance for substance your not fixing the issue.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. I've tried the using pot as an exit drug method. Marijuana maintenance. It didn't last long. It is just a bandaid and another lie that the AV tells us.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who has been posting. Your comments are very helpful.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've done pot and alcohol since I was 14. Gave up pot last October. After over 30 years. I don't miss it! Still working on alcohol and I won't miss that either!
You can do this...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just had a good friend with 2 years sober decide to "try a little pot." That led to booze and she has now lost her kids again and just got out of detox. Mind-altering drugs....steer clear.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In the past I have also turned to other substances, swearing to myself it wasn't a replacement or a crutch for alcohol. It is. You gotta do it the hard way. All the way. It will make u feel much better. In the back of my head I was always remembering that I wasn't actually sober. Because I had a crutch or replacement.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by futureve View Post
... I haven't had a drink in 7 days but since Saturday night, I have been smoking pot!...
I'm thinking if you wanted to you could come up with a better recovery plan than smoking pot.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Before I began drinking regularly, I was a major pothead. In all honesty, I barely remember high school because starting at 16, we got high every single day before, during and after school.

It wasn't until we went through a dry period in the area and couldn't find any weed that I substituted beer.. and the rest was history. I've actually had the opportunity to get my hands on some good weed knowing I could abstain from alcohol if I did, but I CANNOT smoke it without an insatiable craving for cigarettes... something I quit long before quitting alcohol.

I decided that if I'm going to exchange one habit for another, I'd make the new habit a healthy one. Lots of organic juicing, healthy diet, and working out has helped during my sober bouts. I had to add AA to the mix after the last relapse as I've figured out I need help greater than willpower and bench presses.