Notices

Music festival rant

Old 04-14-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music festival rant

It's that time of year when the west coast (Hollywood) masses trek out into the mosh pit pandemonium of the drug and alcohol fueled music festival known as Coachella.

It's the kind of thing an addict/alcoholic looks at and thinks "Oh no, if I don't go, I'll miss out." And then use it as an excuse to get wasted.

Ugh, just venting. Having a bad night.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to admit I was never a festival guy even tho I went to a lot - I only went because over drinking was sanctioned there.

D
Old 04-14-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never really was either. It's just all over the internet right now. My AV is in overdrive today.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a tough time Bluedog.

All I can say is just keep going...

I know it sounds cheesy, and it might not seem like it, but things will be probably be easier tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well the 'music' part of the festival sounds like so much fun! I get excited just hearing about it from your post.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So many other things to do in this beautiful weather....
Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick with us Bluedog we will get you through
Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post

It's the kind of thing an addict/alcoholic looks at and thinks "Oh no, if I don't go, I'll miss out." And then use it as an excuse to get wasted.
not necessarily. im an alcoholic/addict and really don't give a rats ass about it. I have better things to do with my life today.
even in early recovery, I didn't give a rats ass about music or sporting events.
what this is is something someone having some selfish,self centered self pity rearing its ugly head would think- someone who is getting ready to put recovery on the backburner would say.

mosh pits- seriously, even when I was YOUNG, drinkin, and hittin boatloads of concerts, I wasn't so screwed up to even think about getting involved in that crap. i hurt myself just fine without assistance.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I try to stay away from any events where people purposely look to get wasted and stupid - I spent decades being involved in such activities and is just ended with me overspending money, being sick and hungover and full of regret and guilt.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
It's that time of year when the west coast (Hollywood) masses trek out into the mosh pit pandemonium of the drug and alcohol fueled music festival known as Coachella.

Ugh, just venting. Having a bad night.
One big surprise I got when I sobered up was that a lot of people went to concerts for the music. Who knew???

I've been to many a concert over the years, sober, starting with the Stones in 78, to many to remember in the 80's including Live Aid and all the Amnesty International Shows. Had to cut back in the 90's and 00 with the kids, and now hitting the smaller venues.

Speaking of Coachella, I did fly from the East coast to attend Desert Trip last fall. One of the best weekends of my life. My wife who teaches couldn't get off so I went with my oldest daughter who lives out there. It was unfrigging believable. I must add with today's technology, Rodger Water's shows sound and and stage show live was far better than any acid trip I had back in the 70's.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

I like to say that the music must suck if they need drugs in order to enjoy it.

Cover bands are always at bars, and DJ's are always at festivals. It's no coincidence that drugs smother most people's need for originality or something unique and novel.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Music fests always look great on paper, because they frequently assemble impressive arrays of talent from artists I like a lot.

But I have never been to one.

I don't rule it out, but they always seem to occur at a bad time for me, which is not hard to do because I work a lot.

I am not a young man and I am not particularly tolerant of being around people smoking (anything), being out of hand, etc., so I suspect a music fest for me wouldn't be a good fit.

I go to a lot of sporting events, though, including NASCAR (this coming weekend), football (US football, not soccer), basketball and baseball.

I try to remove myself from people doing a lot of heavy drinking and acting out.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I am not a young man and I am not particularly tolerant of being around people smoking (anything), being out of hand, etc., so I suspect a music fest for me wouldn't be a good fit....

I go to a lot of sporting events...including NASCAR (this coming weekend)
I try to remove myself from people doing a lot of heavy drinking and acting out.
Hey SoberCAH, I'm with you. No longer a young man either, and NOT a fan of being around people smoking, drinking and generally acting the fool. Except I've been to quite a few NASCAR races, (Richmond, *******, Martinsville, Daytona & Darlington), and there's been plenty of all of that...especially drinking and obnoxious drunks. To the point where I turned down a chance to go to the recent Phoenix race. Maybe you've been having a different experience than me? In fairness, most of the races I went to were in the late 90s/early 2000s. Maybe the spectator rules gave changed since then?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have to admit I was never a festival guy even tho I went to a lot - I only went because over drinking was sanctioned there.

D
This made me chuckle, I would show up to anything where over drinking was sanctioned or even encouraged. When I sobered up I was amazed to find that I actually do like baseball, I thought I only went as an excuse to sit in the sun and get hammered with impunity
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Hey SoberCAH, I'm with you. No longer a young man either, and NOT a fan of being around people smoking, drinking and generally acting the fool. Except I've been to quite a few NASCAR races, (Richmond, *******, Martinsville, Daytona & Darlington), and there's been plenty of all of that...especially drinking and obnoxious drunks. To the point where I turned down a chance to go to the recent Phoenix race. Maybe you've been having a different experience than me? In fairness, most of the races I went to were in the late 90s/early 2000s. Maybe the spectator rules gave changed since then?
I'll let you know next week, since I will be spending this weekend at ******* Motor Speedway.

There is a considerable amount of drinking, but we have a lot of seats, which means we can spread out (our coolers, our backpacks, etc) and not be right next to someone who is not in our group.

Most of the people at car races, whether they are drinking or not, are pretty easy-going.

If someone is acting badly, I just give him a lot of room.

Back in the day, I was one of the ones who acted poorly at these events.

It's much more fun watching a sporting event or a music or theatrical performance sober than drunk - not even close.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I'll let you know next week, since I will be spending this weekend at ******* Motor Speedway.
beings how a race weekend at ******* is on my todo list.........
you suck!

have a great time! i hear its a heck of an experience- no bad seat in the house and LOUD. from what ive been told,******* makes MIS sound like normal street noise.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

NASCAR is the Coachella for the southerners. Who cares about what's going on, it's get hammered time!
There are far better things to do then say "I went to this even and spent $500 to get drunk!" Sound pretty stupid if you ask me,..