SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I Want To Drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/407637-i-want-drink.html)

ThatWasTheOldMe 04-10-2017 04:23 PM

I Want To Drink

For no reason at all...
Just a random craving. I know what will happen, so it's not an option.

Dee74 04-10-2017 04:26 PM

I found posting here, helping others, was a great way to work through a craving :)

D

Done4today 04-10-2017 04:32 PM

Head out for a walk, run, bike ride. Go to a meeting or do some chore you've been putting off. Great job posting here before actually doing it.

SoberLeigh 04-10-2017 04:32 PM

Work through the urges. You will be so glad that you did.

Waking up hang-over tomorrow morning will feel extra wonderful.

ThatWasTheOldMe 04-10-2017 04:46 PM

Yeah, if I drink "just one," it will really be double digits at least and probably hospital tomorrow. No thanks.

29 days sober today :)

Gottalife 04-10-2017 05:02 PM

I have read two "I want to drink" posts this morning and both really meant "I don't want to drink" that fact that you posted shows your defences are working.

least 04-10-2017 05:51 PM

I'm glad you're not going to drink. :)

bluedog97 04-10-2017 07:17 PM

A big part of recovery for me is accepting and realizing urges to drink are going to arise, especially early on. I still get them, but not nearly as often as at first. Not beating yourself up about them and acting on them is key. Taking steps to work through them and allow them to pass. This is the not drinking part.

The other part is learning to live sober, which includes addressing the underlying roots and causes, which trigger the knee jerk reaction to drink. As opposed to viewing it as work to be done, I view it more as a journey of self-improvement, fulfillment, and recovery.

Stellar45 04-10-2017 07:26 PM

I am on day 61 sober and I have been getting those thoughts of drinking more and more as of late. Still I don't have to give in to them. When it comes to drinking the cons definitely outweigh the pros. I will hang tough with you.

MarkTwain 04-11-2017 12:29 AM

You may want to drink, but you don't HAVE to drink.

HTown 04-11-2017 07:01 AM

Think about why you want a drink? To what purpose?

ThatWasTheOldMe 04-11-2017 09:10 AM

I wanted to drink because I was missing the feeling of catching a buzz. The thing is, the repercussions of that buzz would have been long lasting and painful. The buzz isn't worth it.

30 days sober today.

ScottFromWI 04-11-2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe (Post 6406055)
I wanted to drink because I was missing the feeling of catching a buzz. The thing is, the repercussions of that buzz would have been long lasting and painful. The buzz isn't worth it.

30 days sober today.

Congrats on 30 days! Good insight on the insanity that we also know as alcoholism... we want what we cannot have. Kudos for not falling for the trick.

RecklessEric 04-11-2017 04:01 PM

I've been sober a good while now.
I was in a supermarket yesterday and noticed an offer on bottles of gin.
They were really cheap.
I thought, "I could have a few gins and throw the rest away. No evidence when my wife came home. Foolproof, eh?
But then I thought about the times I had cleverly disguised my drinking and where it had gotten me.
I really had to argue with myself that I would regret it and the positives I was imagining were unlikely to happen.
I'm glad my arguing worked.

Done4today 04-11-2017 04:07 PM

Congratulations on 30 days!!!! Thats an awesome accomplishment.