Notices

Tried to attend 1st AA meeting

Old 10-15-2004, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried to attend 1st AA meeting

I finally got my nerve up to attend my first meeting (which was very hard for me because I have social anxiety disorder) I brought my son to my cousins house while I went. Took me forever to find the right place, finally did and what do you know? NO meeting!! There was no phone number on the site that I got the info from. Soooooooooo..... I am going to try the other location they had on the site. I have been really down about some extended family issues (my mother, brother and sister) and I really really want a drink, but I keep reminding myself that my husband and son are the most important people in my world and my drinking isn't good for them because it makes me a person that I don't like very much and if I don't like myself thats effecting their lives as well. Tonite I am going to stay home and eat pizza and watch movies. Wish me luck. I hope everyone is doing good and staying strong. may God bless all of you.take care.

Love , Dee
Old 10-15-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,
I have to take issue with you about who's important here. I know you love your husband and kids just as I love my wife and my kids but they aren't the people who are being directly affected by alcohol.....you are! True, they are important in your life but the best thing you can do for them is to deal with their wife and mother....you! If you try to get sober for them, you're doing it for the wrong reason. You say you love them and I believe that but I found out that I had to learn to love myself and gain some "self" respect before I really knew how to love and respect others. I did that through being persistent about going to AA meetings even when my wife and kids were asking me to stay home. Healing comes with time and there will be time to spend with my family but it will be "quality" time instead of "quantity" time.

Look for all the meetings you can get to in the beginning. At first, I planned my activities around my AA meetings. If something...anything interfered with my meetings, whatever it was, took a back seat; maybe with the exception of work. I was in the military so I had to make allowances. Sobriety had to come first otherwise it wasn't going to work.

I suggest you put yourself first. Your family might have a problem understanding but they gon't have to understand. They just have to accept the fact that you have to do what you have to do.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dee.

I am sorry you did not find a meeting and I hope you will try again.

I know how hard it was for me to build up the courage to attend my first meeting and I don't have anxiety disorder so I commend you for your courage.

I wish you luck Dee.Enjoy the pizza and movie.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Yes, do try another meeting. You'll find a great deal of support and friendship and learn to work on just you! Good luck, and as Peter said enjoy the pizza and movie!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, sorry to hear about that. Hope you can make it to another meeting. I also deal with the whole social anxity thing too, and it is really hard for us to do the things most people take for granted. But for me, the fear of dying from alcoholism, started to outweigh my fear of the meeting. I wish you the best.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Dee! I'm Missy, alcoholic! I agree with everyone... try another meeting. They sure do help. I also made sure I knew exactly where the meeting was, to cut down on some of the anxiety. I don't know how many times I posted here prior to a meeting just for support. "Just tell me it's ok" LOL It worked, and now I feel like I am part of the AA family. It's so wonderful!

Hugs and Prayers,
Missy
Old 10-17-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In the same boat

Hi Dee
I am newly sober, 6 days yeah I am so proud of myself I can't stop smiling I am planning on going to my 1st meeting after I have a week and I am nervous probably because of the commitment I feel I will have to sobriety once I go. That may be where the anxiety comes in as I suffer from anxiety also. There is no better feeling then when you make a descion to better yourself. You go girl...