Notices

Tip: hobbies hobbies hobbies!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Tip: hobbies hobbies hobbies!

I can't stress how IMPORTANT hobbies are when fighting this thing and staving off the odd craving that pops up every now and then. I recently "got back into" World of Warcraft "seriously" for the latest 7.2 patch after a lengthy multi-year hiatus and let me tell you - I'm having a blast If you think about it, a lot of us on here just don't have as many hobbies as we used to, I would wager to say many of us had NO real hobbies at the height of our addictions. It happens slowly and gradually, but soon your only "hobby" is drinking (I don't really count watching TV or YouTube as a "hobby").

I can "lose myself" in a 4-5 hour WoW session and not think about anything else while I'm playing, it's very relaxing and therapeutic on the mind. When your mind is "occupied" with something else, you just don't even think about alcohol. Early in recovery I "binged" on some Yu-Gi-Oh! over on the (now defunct) "dueling network" website and it was also extremely helpful. As the saying goes, "time flies when you're having fun"

Find something you enjoy, find something that makes you happy, it helps a ton
Old 04-07-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for bringing this up, Grubby.

Hobbies are one of the great rewards of life without drinking.

Me, I'm a model railroader and I play chess.

I think a life without a hobby is dreary indeed.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was trying to do more crafty things. It really does take one's mind off of everything. I bought watercolor paints, brushes and paper but haven't yet sat down to do the youtube tutorials like I planned..
Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got into building model cars, motorcycles, airplanes, tanks... I still have a couple dozen around the house, even after giving quite a few away and taking some to my office at work. Whatever works, I think it's partly the distraction, and partly the sense of accomplishment that you're doing something you used to be incapable of doing, because you were too busy drinking and being drunk.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

this is a SERIOUS thing for me. I gotta have my hobbies.

1. Radio controlled cars, trucks, & drones
2. Movies
3. Restoring classic cars
4. Supercross-(mostly watching nowadays...i'm getting too fragile in my old age)
5. Painting sci-fi/ fantasy/comics (still do it as a living but semi-retired)

these keep me busy and out of my head and that = SANITY.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Believe it or not, I just recently got back into my childhood hobby of collecting (empty) beer cans!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Believe it or not, I just recently got back into my childhood hobby of collecting (empty) beer cans!
As long as they're empty eh?

I agree that hobbies are important.

I'm a gamer too, however i like to drink while I'm gaming so i think sometimes our hobbies can be intertwined with drinking..D-:

I actually enjoy studying languages, and while I'm doing this the last thing i want to do is drink!
My sober hobbies are very good for me :-)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

I hooked up an airbrush to my compressor. I started building models again too, now I am learning to airbrush paint them. I read a ton! I remember what I read too, what a change.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think hobbies and interests are important too. Sailing is my thing. It gives me out door time, exercise, competition, friendship, and has a social aspect. It is the main reason I hardly ever make it to any weekend AA events.

For me, interaction with other real people has been vital to growing in recovery. A shared interest is a good basis for a friendship. This is something not available in the virtual world and something I would not want to miss out on. I had to watch that tendency to withdraw from life.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I needed this reminder, thanks! I like reading, drawing, watching every movie in existence and cooking. I need some more outdoor ones though, hmm.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reading is a good one, I forgot to mention it. I've also been trying to get back into that whenever I have some time. I've read 3 books since the new year, it's good stuff
Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by immri View Post
I needed this reminder, thanks! I like reading, drawing, watching every movie in existence and cooking. I need some more outdoor ones though, hmm.
You just reminded me I enjoy cooking for dinner parties. I used to cook a lot for my children and their friends, and I love having friends come aboard for a meal.

My daughter has quite a serious reltionship going, and I was invited to join their family for Xmas dinner. Not knowing anyone, and being a little shy, I volunteered to cook the xmas dinner. Like so many things, when I got really involved at a contributory level, the rewards far exceeded the input. I had a great time, and nobody got sick