Notices

What is considered a heavy drinker?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is considered a heavy drinker?

Just want to know what is considered a heavy drinker? Like how many beers per night?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not an answerable question. I've known alcoholics who drank four times a year. I've known non-alcoholics who drink a few beers and a couple of glasses of wine almost every night. If you want the world's record achieved without noticeable damage, go check out the Frenchman Andre Roussimoff (Andre the Giant).

If the question is, "Am I a heavy drinker (or alcoholic)?" then you have a question only you can answer. But my guess is you are already suspecting the answer.

By the way, my son was just in Melbourne touring with his chorale group....he says it's a beautiful and fascinating place and the people were wonderful.

Good luck, mate!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

How much are/were you drinking Oz?

D
Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well still drinking off and on (quitting and starting). When i do drink i drink 4-10 beers at night time. I have a rule I only drink at night
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd call that heavy drinking.

The relevant Australian Guidelines to Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol are:

Guideline 1: Reducing the risk of alcohol-related harm over a lifetime

The lifetime risk of harm from drinking alcohol increases with the amount consumed.

For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces the lifetime risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury.

Guideline 2: Reducing the risk of injury on a single occasion of drinking

On a single occasion of drinking, the risk of alcohol-related injury increases with the amount consumed.

For healthy men and women, drinking no more than four standard drinks on a single occasion reduces the risk of alcohol-related injury arising from that occasion.

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/health-topi...hol-guidelines
Its also recommended to have days with no drinking at all.

A full strength stubby (375 ml) is 1.4 standard drinks. A mid strength stubby is one standard drink.

Even at your least input you're admitting to here, you're over those levels.

I personally don't make any distinction between heavy drinker and alcoholic either - not for guys like you and I who drink like that daily/nightly and end up here.

D
Old 04-07-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My reply to your question is that the amount is irrelevant. It is all about how it is affecting your life, your relationships, how you feel about yourself, what priority alcohol is given in your life.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh and making rules for when we allow ourselves alcohol. People without a drink problem don't do that!
Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I drank 12-18 beers every night and didn't consider myself a heavy drinker.

That's the kind of alcoholic thinking that really gets us into trouble.

If you think you're drinking too much, odds are you've been doing it for a long time.

If you think you're ready to quit for good, you've come to the right place.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aside from numbers of drinks, what makes you think your drinking could be causing problems or is having a negative influence on your life?

What happens when you try to cut down?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
well still drinking off and on (quitting and starting). When i do drink i drink 4-10 beers at night time. I have a rule I only drink at night
I had rules. First I would only drink at weekends, then only on Friday nights and weekends, then every other night of the week, then every night and years later in the afternoons as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank anywhere for 6 to 10 drinks per day, everyday, for 27 years. Many days I drank up to 20 drinks per day; when I was younger sometimes 30 drinks per day.

I fooled myself into thinking I was just a "heavy drinker" and I "wasn't that bad" and in the back of my mind I always figured I would naturally just slow down the drinking as I got older.

I knew I couldn't continue the heavy consumption of alcohol on a daily basis if I wanted to stay healthy mentally and physically but I didn't know how to quit drinking and feared living without booze.

Today I am 165 days sober and looking back I wasn't just a heavy drinker - I am an alcoholic that was sick for many, many years.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

well still drinking off and on (quitting and starting).
Your failure to quit says more about your drinking "problem" than the quantity you drink.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here's my thoughts as to what would be reasonable drinking..
If you're alone, it's one beer after work or one glass of wine with dinner. No big deal.
If you're with friends, one drink an hour. If you have to drive yourself home, you're gonna get something light and probably not even finish it.
If it's a party and you aren't worried about driving, I think it's reasonable to have a drink per hour for the time you are there.
You should always be doing something else, socializing or relaxing in some other way. It should never be the focus. The goal should never be to get drunk.

I think drinking in excess of one drink alone, or more than one drink an hour with friends, or more than one drink period when driving, is excessive drinking.

I am not capable of what I described above. I wish I could do it like that.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Aside from numbers of drinks, what makes you think your drinking could be causing problems or is having a negative influence on your life?

What happens when you try to cut down?
I think these are the most important questions as well. Apart from the medical definitions of healthy/not healthy drinking, so to speak - which you are exceeding at even the minimum levels you indicate, as Dee said- the questions for most of us, definitely me, became - was my life unmanageable (oh yes) and could I control my drinking (definitely not)?

You found SR and posted for some reason(s) - hope to see you around if you need to be here with us.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Go back and read some of the threads you've started here and you'll find that the quantity that you drink is kind of irrelevant. You've been told by your doctor that you should stop drinking because of the health problems it is causing, and you have amassed quite a laundry list of other problems that alcohol has created in your life as well.

The bottom line is that even one drink is too many in your case, just like the rest of us. No amount of research will change that fact.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
If you're alone, it's one beer after work or one glass of wine with dinner. No big deal.
If you're with friends, one drink an hour. If you have to drive yourself home, you're gonna get something light and probably not even finish it.
If it's a party and you aren't worried about driving, I think it's reasonable to have a drink per hour for the time you are there.
You should always be doing something else, socializing or relaxing in some other way. It should never be the focus. The goal should never be to get drunk.

I think drinking in excess of one drink alone, or more than one drink an hour with friends, or more than one drink period when driving, is excessive drinking.

This is about right.

I didn't start drinking heavily until I was 25 years old; before that I would only drink if someone offered me a beer and I would only drink one or two. I didn't care about drinking and wasn't around drinkers that much.

I really don't know what happened when I turned 25 - I think I was just bored with my life and alcohol relieved the boredom so I drank more and more. I started going to bars everyday and made a lot of drinking buddies. But alcohol will always turn on you and excessive use never ends well.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Federal guidelines state the max amount is 4 drinks per day, and a total of 14 per week. Though if you're at the point where you're questioning if you have a drinking problem or not, the answer is usually yes.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just want to know what is considered a heavy drinker? Like how many beers per night?
Usually these ones will be known by their families, friends and neighbors as an alcoholic.

Seems that the drunk may (at times) fool themself.
But, not many others are fooled.

A fool is one who fools themselve.

M-Bob
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

just my opinion, but id say its whatever amount that causes a person to start questioning if they are a heavy drinker.

heres your words from a thread a bit ago:

You know you're an alcoholic when

You drink so much that you throw up, and then, you start drinking strait after until you feel tired. Well that's the stage I'm up to right now .

just because a person doesn't drink to that point now doesn't mean they are no longer an alcohol and now just a heavy drinker
Old 04-07-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Damnit! I was just about to write that.

CJ.

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
just my opinion, but id say its whatever amount that causes a person to start questioning if they are a heavy drinker.