Notices

How much weight have you lost from not drinking?

Old 04-01-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How much weight have you lost from not drinking?

I'm about 2 weeks in, and one thing I'm experiencing is rapid weight loss. Technically, I wasn't even overweight to begin with, but over the years I've developed a little gut. After just a couple weeks off the sauce Iv'e lost 9 lbs and am visibly much leaner. I'm naturally a pretty muscular guy with a good metabolism, so I'm sure my results are probably more extreme than most, but I thought it would be cool to hear other people's weight loss stories after going clean.

I think that without all the empty calories and my increased drive in the gym, I'll probably have a 6 pack (abs) for the first time since I was in my 20's by the 6 week mark. This is just one more perk of sober life. If only I would have done it when I was single lol
Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lost about 25 pounds during the first month or so of sobriety. I am sure not having alcohol was part of it but I was also depressed and anxious so I had a hard time eating. I also was walking a lot to burn off adrenaline.

I am over 5 months sober now and I have gained most of that 25 pounds back. I am overeating - a lot of sugar - but I am want to get into better shape.

I plan to really start dieting and exercising more in the near future.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My entire life, even pre-puberty, I had a lean, muscular build (not bulk, just definition). Drinking in my early twenties had no impact on my weight, but as I ramped things up in my thirties I gained about 55lbs of beer weight over several years.

When I quit several years back (only to recently relapse), I began to immediately shed weight. I then started researching natural "cleanses," which led me to juicing beets/celery/apple to flush the liver, and "green" juicing for the gut. I ate tons of dark green leafy salads, and began replacing high fat meats with alternate sources of lean protein like greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, legumes, eggs, etc. I cut 68lbs and went from 225, to 157.

I then went into a higher protein, calorie surplus and began a compound bodybuilding routine to put on muscle.. deadlift, squat, bench, overhead, rows, pull-ups. To warm up I use treadmill for 1/2 mile, then do planks, hanging leg raises, and crunches while hanging upside down on an inversion table. I'm built better than I was at 25!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lost 30 pounds in 6 months. It took that long because I was still eating a lot of carbs at first.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
I have gained most of that 25 pounds back. I am overeating - a lot of sugar - but I am want to get into better shape.
I'm no expert, but I think it is common to crave sugar after abstaining from alcohol. I never really had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking for a while but I would try to satisfy it with sugar free jello, or sugarless gum. I didn't keep sweets in the house.

The amino acid L-Glutamine is an effective supplement for sugar/alcohol cravings. It isn't a silver bullet solution, but can help.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It wasn't a consideration in quitting but it's been a side effect.

I went through periods of either being very gaunt or being bloated depending on drinking habits and diet.

I'm a lot healthier now.

P
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puddlejumper70 View Post
I would try to satisfy it with sugar free jello, or sugarless gum. .

The chemicals in artificial sweeteners scare me - I don't know what they do to the human body.

Of course this is coming from me, an idiot that abused alcohol everyday for 27 years!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've gained about 10-15 lbs. since I quit drinking 2.5 months ago. At first I didn't care but now I'm more worried about it. I'd like to lose about 30-40 lbs. or more. I started jogging 4-5 times a week about 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've lost 2 inches in my waist and gained 14 lbs. I run and lift 4-5 times per week.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
The chemicals in artificial sweeteners scare me - I don't know what they do to the human body.
Hehe... I'm actually with you... all during my heavy drinking years I took supplements and avoided processed foods, fast foods, over the counter medicines, etc.

I regularly drink green tea and coffee and use Stevia as a sweetner rather than aspartame or saccharin because it's supposedly a natural, healthier alternative. I get the generic brand from Wal-Mart, it's not expensive.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

About 20lbs the last 4 month quit I had...but I was also busting it at the gym...
Old 04-01-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I gained 20 pounds my first year sober. Ice cream by the gallon was my fix. Used the excuse at least I am not drinking. I was lifting 4 times a week too. So, I have claimed it as my bulking phase. Now I am running 15 plus miles a week and lifting only 3 times. Want to lose the 20 and then 10 more this year.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day 13 of being sober today and I've substituted my wine for crisps and chocolate. I usually eat quite healthily but My body wants junk food. From Monday I'm really going to try and cut that back and be healthy. I've only put on 1-2lbs but I have about 14lbs to lose at least.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Even though I started eating lots of sweet food when I quit drinking I lost 28lbs I preferred myself stocky though and wouldn't mind putting the weight back on
Old 04-01-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2/2016

I lost 35 pounds by limiting carbs and not drinking. No excercise at all. Now I eat what I want, and maintain my weight. And I am more active because I feel lighter and better.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Since I've stopped drinking I initially put on weight (I had to)

Recently I have lost two stone since last year when I started exercising
Old 04-01-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I couldnm,t afford to lose anymore weight. Malnutrition went wIth alcoholism for me. I didn't eat when I was drinking, mostly couldn't eat much because my stomach was not in good shape. I would get hungry and think I could eat a lot, but one or two mouthfuls was all I could manage. I found eating interferes with drinking. I couldn't t drink much with a belly full of food.

As I recall, there weren't many over weight allies, at least newly sober ones, in the fellowship or rehab that I saw. We were mostly skinny shaking wrecks. Someone told me it was the modern illicit drugs that give you the munchies.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Seven pounds in 24 days
Old 04-02-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well i suffer from an eating disorder, so it's hard to tell for me.

But what i often did was replaced alcohol with food.

However, i read that alcohol has a chemical effect on the body that stops the body from burning off calories.
Combine this with alcohol that may have a high calorie and carbohydrate count and your on the road to weight gain.

I don't know about you guys but the next morning after drinking I'd be feeling so bad that I'd end up eating junk so it easily ruined any efforts of weight loss for me. @.@
Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
sober style

I've now lost 76 pounds from late February 2016 when my sober streaks started. Having been a lean person most of my life, all the weight I'd put on drinking was a big motivation for me to quit.