Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Will my father have cravings after being hospitalised for months?

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My father has been a high functioning alcoholic for nearly 40 years now. The last couple of years have seen his health - both mental and physical - deteriorate rapidly. About 1.5 months ago he suffered a stroke with left side paralysis and underwent neurosurgery to stop a brain haemmorrhage that had been on going for nearly 3 days. He has now been in the ICU for more than a month, due to numerous complications resulting from a severely damaged liver. He is expected to remain in hospital for another couple of months.

I would like to know whether he will still crave alcohol once he is back home. Is it possible that he is craving it right now? He cannot speak so it's not possible to tell. Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering whether he is in additional pain or suffering any form of residual withdrawals/cravings.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Probably - yes. I was in hospital for months- I did. Empathy and Support to you.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about your father's condition.
I hope he will recover okay.

My dad was a chronic alcoholic for pretty much most of his life. He was hospitalised numerous times and it never really stopped him from hitting the bottle again.

I'm proud to say, today he is doesn't drink anymore. There was two factors that contributed to this.

First: his liver is too damaged to drink anymore. It's so scared and damaged that of he drinks, he will become extremely sick and vomit a lot.

Secondly: because of this abrupt stop and somewhat"drink or die" situation, it gave him time to discover himself.

I think some people can only stop when the choice is no longer there for them.

I know that sounds really bad, but i just know if my dad's liver magically healed, he would very likely drink again.

Best wishes to you and your dad. x
Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi AS, I would imagine the physical cravings are gone by now, but alcohol is the crutch he's been leaning on all his life and unless he's undergone a complete change of attitude he'll probably want to drink again.

A lot depends on how he is when he leaves hospital. He may not be physically able to obtain alcohol.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If he is going to think and do the same things then yes he will want alcohol soon at some point. Buy him a bible or advise him to do anything that's new to him no matter how insignificant. His way of thinking needs to change little.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your replies. They have been very useful, particularly with just knowing what to expect. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It's really impossible for others to predicted what your dads mindset may be upon release. The physical cravings disappear pretty quickly but it's the mental obsession that could still be present.

Have you considered any support group for yourself?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Who knows? Probably, yes. I knew a guy who jumped off the Mystic/Tobin Bridge 125 feet into the water and lived. Spent six months in the hospital recovering.

Where do you think his first stop was upon being released from the hospital? The liquor store. No kidding.

May I make a suggestion? Return the focus to yourself aside from your concern about him, and, whatever else you do, don't try to go it alone.