SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Past the 4 week Threshold (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/406952-past-4-week-threshold.html)

RapidMan 03-28-2017 06:02 AM

Past the 4 week Threshold

As of today, 2PM (indochina time) Tuesday 28th I past the 4 weeks without a drink mark.

Feeling pretty good, since in the past weeks was the point at which the craving for drink has gone, and if I haven't fell off the wagon I know I can 'do' sober.

The challenge I have always had past this point, is that complacency builds up as time goes by, and I find myself rather than facing a physical desire to drink, it's a more seductive voice saying to me that I 'can' have that one glass of wine with dinner, that one gin & tonic with friends, since I'm not an alcoholic anymore!!!

That's always been my undoing in the past, but I am determined with all your help that this time if I get tempted by that seductress in my head, you will remind me that I am, and always will be an alcoholic and simply can't be trusted with drink

ScottFromWI 03-28-2017 06:12 AM

Congrats on 4 weeks RapidMan, that is fantastic! How about rather than waiting for the temptation to come to you, make a plan to be ready for it when it comes instead? You have an army of sober friends here who can help!

PhoenixJ 03-28-2017 06:57 AM

Awesomeness RM. Well done. Support to you, PJ

TheLuckyCat 03-28-2017 11:22 AM

Well done!

That's exactly what happened to me when i stayed sober for a month..

I had that voice in my head telling me that i can go without alcohol and that i can treat myself to a bottle red wine.

And I'm sure you can guess what happened from there.

I was back to square one and now I'm here because it was really getting out of hand.

Stay strong. For people like us it's all or nothing. And choosing the nothing will bring you many better things in life.

SnazzyDresser 03-28-2017 11:25 AM

good going, Rapidman! Great name too. I bet that has something to do with Rapid City, SD.

RapidMan 03-28-2017 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser (Post 6385854)
good going, Rapidman! Great name too. I bet that has something to do with Rapid City, SD.

It does indeed, well deduced, hardly a soul has ever heard of the place

CreativeThinker 03-28-2017 04:24 PM

Congrats RM...way to go! 4 weeks is awesome!

"it's a more seductive voice saying to me that I 'can' have that one glass of wine with dinner, that one gin & tonic with friends, since I'm not an alcoholic anymore!!!"

SO funny and SO true! :c008::c043:

MrMcTell 03-28-2017 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by RapidMan (Post 6385423)
The challenge I have always had past this point, is that complacency builds up as time goes by, and I find myself rather than facing a physical desire to drink, it's a more seductive voice saying to me that I 'can' have that one glass of wine with dinner, that one gin & tonic with friends, since I'm not an alcoholic anymore!!!

Congratulations on hitting your milestone. Great work.

Yep. I can definitely relate to this. I am at 60+ days and definitely have the occasionally feeling of "Huh? What was all that about? Turns out I wasn't an alcoholic after all." But, that is obviously my addiction speaking, and only an addict looking to go back to drinking would ever believe anything so ridiculous. :dunno:

Dee74 03-28-2017 06:47 PM

Congrats on 4 weeks RapidMan :)

I found being a member here, writing about my struggles, and reading about others, helped me stay in the moment and not get complacent. The evidence is here in black and white and it helps me never forget I really was *that bad*.

D

NYCDoglvr 03-28-2017 07:17 PM

That "voice" is the alcoholism speaking and it's completely normal. We are dogged by denial and rationalization and standing up is the only way to stay on track. Congrats on one month sober!