Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Cravings are the same... in a way that's different?!

Notices

Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I'm only a few weeks into it here... but the cravings that I do get are far and few between, thankfully. But its kinda different. Seems like I don't hang on 'em like I did before. I just push the negative stuff out of my mind and its over and done.

Do cravings mutate as time goes on? Are they less of a craving and more of a passing thought? Does this make sense?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are no real rules as to what constitutes a "craving" or not. It could very well be that the change has come from inside you and how you deal with them too. Sounds like you are doing so in a positive way, which is what matters most, right?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sounds like you are doing so in a positive way, which is what matters most, right?
Right.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have physical cravings for alcohol.

It is more a mental thing - if I am watching TV and someone is enjoying a cocktail I start thinking about it.

I went to brunch today with my wife, her son and his wife and they were handing out free mimosas. My stepson had two and I thought how nice it would be to have one instead of the ice water I was drinking.

But the thought went away as fast as it came. I spent 27+ years drinking everyday, I did my time in the alcoholic prison and I am now a free man.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Around 60-90 days I lost the "cravings" to buy booze and drink. Now a year later, I have passing thoughts of drinking. They are brief and easily put aside but it reminds me that if I let my guard down it could grab me.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When i was sober for a month back in January, I was the same as you. Once i just got rid of the negative thoughts, i was back on track.

I think psychical addiction comes much later than emotional addiction.

I definitely know I'm an emotional drinking addict.

When I'm sad and especially bored, I crave the buzz alcohol gives me.
I also love the feeling of being numb.

I think the more you change your mindset, the less cravings you will have.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

more of a passing thought for me or stupid idea. it can also be a fantasy too as well. All it really takes is reminding myself where it will lead and it usually kills the idea.

I also go through phases where my AV is plotting. for example for a few months i fantasized at drinking again and drinking vodka and hiding it from my family. I had the hiding spots all figured out I had the whole thing plotted out and was just deabting pulling the trigger and doing it. this whole process went on for liek 4 months? finally i just gave up on the fantasy knowing it would never work out as great as it seemed and It hought why hide it? i never had to hide my drinking really why would i wanna start up and hide it? I just gave up the idea.

but for me I gotta stay on top of it my AV is always plotting.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To be honest, the thought of a drink is repulsive. I'll never forget the he!! of my last binge.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
it can also be a fantasy too as well. All it really takes is reminding myself where it will lead and it usually kills the idea.
This is about where I'm at, today at least. I was out working in the garden for a few hours. Got done, took a shower, and had sorta a passing thought.... "wouldn't a bourbon go down really well right now?"

I deep sixed that on the spot!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get the tools you need to reduce the thoughts the drinking. After 4 years I still have passing thoughts of being drunk. There few and far between. Last maybe 5 seconds. I don't crave alcohol. It's like craving a loaded gun to put up to my head. I just can't ever see myself holding a drink again. But after 30 plus years of hard drinking I think my mind will always remember the effects of alcohol. It's just natural. The trick is, don't ever think you can go back to it. It's like the loaded gun, disastrous. Simply disastrous.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me if I'm not a 110 % Spiritually fit I'm in danger it's not my job to stay sober it's my job to be Spiritually fit which Buddha Boleo taught me!!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got really good at detaching from my alcohol cravings last year. I also learned to detach from other negative emotions in order to process them, figure out how to fix them or at least figure out how to tolerate them.

When I made some big life changes, got a new job, went back to school, the stress got back up to levels where I couldn't detach from my emotions.. I had learned new ways of coping with moderate stress, but I had not yet mastered my cravings well enough to handle higher levels of stress without giving in to the cravings.

Another big pitfall for me was that I had stopped using alcohol as my go-to "escape" from reality, but I would come here or I would play a game for hours on end or I would think about a person/situation and escape from reality that way.. So eventually, I had stopped working on me and just continued escaping.. and when my new favorite escape route was blocked, I wanted one thing and one thing only. I drank.

So I find the cravings do diminish as long as you don't fall back in to "escaping" behaviors.

Edit to add: I know.. I have been put in my place several times and reminded how laughable it is that I'd have the guile to offer advice to anyone else in recovery or to claim that I made any kind of progress or improvement on myself.. But we have to take lessons from our relapses and look back at what went wrong and what went right. So I understand if people want to tell me to bugger off, but people who are still struggling can have insights, too, it's not just the folks who claim years of continuous sobriety.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another pitfall for me was.. I think I took the focus off of my recovery from alcoholism too soon because my cravings had diminished so much. I had become a totally different person and I remember even saying I couldn't imagine going back to the person I'd been.. You can always revert, and it can be unexpected.

I had such a desire to say "I'm not an alcoholic anymore" because of my perception of what being an alcoholic meant. I thought it meant I was a bad person, less of a human. I will stick to some of the kinder, gentler terms here. No longer having cravings meant I had removed the shameful label of Alcoholic, but now I could move on and pretend it had never been there.

I need to learn to look at my alcoholism differently, and be in sort of a detached state of acceptance with it. I need to somehow not wallow in it but also not discard it. I am kind of thought dumping here, because I was just trying to think back to where things were going well and my cravings were gone and I thought I'd licked it, so I can offer insights useful to others.. But this brings up a thread topic I might want to start.