SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   UPDATE: A fifth a day, recently became bad (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/406775-update-fifth-day-recently-became-bad.html)

Crandar 03-24-2017 10:28 AM

UPDATE: A fifth a day, recently became bad

It's been one week without a drink. I'm done counting days, I'm counting weeks now

Idk if this sounds bizarre, but I stabbed my hunting knife through the last bottle I bought, and keep it on my dresser, knife through it and all. I'm a pretty symbolic person, and doing that made me feel like I hammered the last nail in the coffin of my biggest demon.

I'll continue to post here still, thanks a lot everyone. You're all great people

Wholesome 03-24-2017 10:46 AM

Congrats on the First of many weeks!!

steve-in-kville 03-24-2017 12:19 PM

:You_Rock_

Ghostlight1 03-24-2017 12:45 PM

Thanks for the update. I remember how bad you were feeling.
Keep it up!

Elly235 03-24-2017 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Crandar (Post 6380687)
It's been one week without a drink. I'm done counting days, I'm counting weeks now

Idk if this sounds bizarre, but I stabbed my hunting knife through the last bottle I bought, and keep it on my dresser, knife through it and all. I'm a pretty symbolic person, and doing that made me feel like I hammered the last nail in the coffin of my biggest demon.

I'll continue to post here still, thanks a lot everyone. You're all great people

I am still in my first week. It has been rough with detox/withdrawal symptoms.
Was your first week rough? My worst symptoms are stomach bloating and a red, puffy face. I take anxiety meds, so that hasn't been too bad. I have work again tomorrow, so hopefully my symptoms lessen.

I know when I went to rehab in December, it took 2 weeks for my symptoms to subside.

Any thoughts or encouragement appreciated.

Doug39 03-24-2017 02:06 PM

sounds like you are doing good Crandar.

Today I am exactly 5 months sober so I am counting weeks and months instead of days.

I met a guy at AA yesterday that has a sobriety date in 1975 - and he still goes to meetings regularly and sponsors people.

steve-in-kville 03-24-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doug39 (Post 6380895)
I met a guy at AA yesterday that has a sobriety date in 1975 - and he still goes to meetings regularly and sponsors people.

That was the year my parents got married!

ScottFromWI 03-24-2017 02:28 PM

Congrats on a week Crandar, and I think continuing to post here is a great idea too!

MsCooterBrown 03-24-2017 03:10 PM

Great on one week Crandar! Git Er Done!

Hevyn 03-24-2017 03:17 PM

A whole week - how fabulous, Crandar. You are doing this. :)

Done4today 03-24-2017 03:26 PM

Congratulations Crandar!!! One week is a big deal. Your post reads really good and you're doing this. Reminded me of my last time I drank, I knew I was done and alcohol was giving me nothing anymore. Thank you for your post, I am super grateful to read it. Good luck and many prayers

tursiops999 03-24-2017 07:44 PM

Well done, Crandar. Stick around and keep us posted! It's good to have you here.

SoberLeigh 03-24-2017 07:47 PM

I am so happy for you, Crandar.

Power on!!!!!

Sobriety rocks.

Harryho 03-24-2017 09:27 PM

Elly235,
You are honouring yourself in the best possible way, be proud! Hugs.

Harryho 03-24-2017 09:29 PM

So good to see you here, like me, looking for peace. Hugs.

Crandar 03-25-2017 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Elly235 (Post 6380868)
Was your first week rough? My worst symptoms are stomach bloating and a red, puffy face. I take anxiety meds, so that hasn't been too bad. I have work again tomorrow, so hopefully my symptoms lessen.

I know when I went to rehab in December, it took 2 weeks for my symptoms to subside.

Yes the withdrawal hurts, but the pain is far less intense than what I was feeling after downing a fifth a night. You can do this!

I'm starting to enjoy activities and hobbies that I gave up on because I was too drunk to care. Maybe try to find activities that keep you entertained?

I'd say yesterday was the first day I woke up without any major withdrawal symptoms, so that would be the day 8 Mark. I still have trouble sleeping without a sleep aid, but the shakiness and anxiety feels like it's gone.

Being sober feels so much better. I actually "feel" again, and am much more empathetic. I nearly lost everything in my life, and I'm glad that I came here, and admitted that I needed help.

It's never too late to clean up buddy, stay strong.

Crandar 03-25-2017 12:46 PM

Also going to the gym has been great for me mentally and physically! I've never been a gym guy, but I decided to give it a shot and I don't regret it at all!

SoberLeigh 03-25-2017 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crandar (Post 6382135)
Also going to the gym has been great for me mentally and physically! I've never been a gym guy, but I decided to give it a shot and I don't regret it at all!

Great!!!! It really helps to stay busy and seek health in many ways.

So happy for you, Crandar.

Hope you find, as I have, that sobriety and recovery truly rock!!!

Dee74 03-25-2017 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Elly235 (Post 6380868)

Hi and welcome Elly :)

The first week is rough for most I think - was for me.

You'll find a lot of support here - but if you start your own thread you'll get more responses :)

D

steve-in-kville 03-25-2017 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Crandar (Post 6382135)

Staying active is a great tool in sobriety!