Notices

Mailing a letter of amends????

Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mailing a letter of amends????

I imagine making amends in person is a lot better....but what are your guys/gals opinions on mailing a letter of amends to someone? Thank You...God Bless
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

its all about the motive. in the early days of AA when it was suggested an honest letter be written, they didn't have the phone and internet system we have today- many people didn't even have phones.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I like the letter idea. it gives the other party time to digest what has been said and such. and they can take it or leave it like tomsteve says so long as your motivation is right its not a big deal. make your ammends say your peace after that i'm of the mindset that your done with it unless they wanna discuss it further or something.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hard drinkers are always losing friends. I lost two of my friends in the past few years.

If it's too the point where you are considering a letter instead of face to face then your relationship it probably warped beyond repair.

You can always say you're sorry anyway you like but just don't expect anything in return. Just move on in life.

One thing that doesn't come back are your old friends when you quit drinking, at least in my case.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if i were to have mailed a letter, it would have been because of fear and cowardice. believe me, there were moments when i wanted to do the letter thing instead of the face-to-face.

looking back i have no doubt that i would not have gotten the relief i did if i had attempted to make amends by mail.

in fact, it strikes me as close to "dumping" my stuff on someone without their permission.

they cannot, in fact, 'take it or leave it' easily, since it is thrust upon them.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post

in fact, it strikes me as close to "dumping" my stuff on someone without their permission.
good point.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JWS

Amends have to be in a form you are comfortable with. If this method does feel right to you, don't do it.