Notices

Anyone have anxiety/socializing problems?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Yeah I'm having some social anxiety without drinking too. I was isolating with the drinking but I'm still isolating without it. I didn't really leave the house at all this weekend. Early days for me though so maybe it's not such a bad thing. I have a few ideas for where to start once I decide to venture back out again. I'd like to join a fitness class, I'd like to start meditating at a temple that also hosts Refuge Recovery meetings, and there's a knitting store in my neighborhood that has knitting circles that I'd like to hang around at. I just have to find the motivation to force myself out there! Easier said than done at the moment.
We do need to get out of our comfort zone to realize how great our sober life can be.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So finally, after 8 years, this is one of those holy crap changes/benefits of getting sober.

I have always been socially anxious and avoided certain situations as a result. So much so I wouldn't admit it. Just drank to deal with everything and pretended I was confident, didn't cate or proffered my own company.

I still like time on my own sometimes but today I feel genuinely outgoing, liked and even loved by the folks around me that matter...I can enter most situations with a smile on my face and maybe even raise a smile or two on those around me. No booze required.

Out the booze down. Keep the booze down. Grow. That there is the formula

P
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
We do need to get out of our comfort zone to realize how great our sober life can be.
I agree. I knew them as fear and self centredness. I thought everyone would be looking at me, judging me etc. First I had to get right with these two, and then, when I felt on a more solid footing I had to get out there and practice.

I remember talking to my sponsor about small talk and how difficult and boring I thought it was. Practice, was all he could suggest. I guess rejoining the mainstream of life does involve getting into the mainstream and learning how to swim.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

my experience has been that from a young age I unknowingly medicated my social anxiety with alcohol as I imagine countless addicts do.
its easy to look back and see everything clearly once youre head isn't clouded. I mean, why even consider what your problems might be when you have the answer readily available, glug.

when I got sober (6 months ago) the anxiety hit me like a freight train. I had made it infinitely worse by not allowing myself to learn to cope and depending on a poison to ease my discomfort. Which of course, eventually, landed me in hospital.

I've been having panic attacks and generalised anxiety which can be uncomfortable but I'm trying to face it head on as I know if I don't then it will mean a life of avoiding situations. I see it as the more I experience the anxiety and attacks the more I can understand they aren't that bad and life goes on. with time I hope the symptoms will lessen as I train my brain to deal with it. if I just stay at home all day it will forever be an issue
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a wreck and felt terrible, but going to daily AA meetings helped with socialization and staying away from a drink.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I always had social anxiety. When I got to AA I discovered this is VERY common with alcoholics, to have the experience that they never fit in or couldn't connect with other people. It's pretty interesting.