SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Having a Difficult Day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/406432-having-difficult-day.html)

RapidMan 03-18-2017 06:22 PM

Having a Difficult Day

Having a bit of a difficult day.
I've been down this road before, and that 'one drink' to make myself feel better' is all it takes to ruin it all.
Got my divorce papers today, been separated (nothing drink related I might add) from my wife for many years, and we get on fine, but somehow it just sent me into a funk, and I can't stop thinking about wanting something to numb the pain
The trouble is my frontal lobes are screaming at me stay strong, but I think as we all know that something deep in an alcoholic brain just wont give up.

PhoenixJ 03-18-2017 06:24 PM

Going through that now. I remind myself- respect, patience, breathe. Live in the moment, distract, more breathing. HALTS- plus support stuff, like meetings.

Hevyn 03-18-2017 06:42 PM

I sabotaged myself many times, thinking I would just take the edge off. It always led to even more misery and regret. Never worth it - but we know that. :) Glad you are here, RapidMan. I'm sorry for your pain, but a new & better life is ahead.

Maudcat 03-18-2017 06:45 PM

Sorry, RapidMan. Get agood night's sleep. You'll feel better tomorrow.

ScottFromWI 03-18-2017 07:43 PM

That AV does not want to give up sometimes, you got that right! But look what you did instead..you came here seeking help instead of listening to it. Give yourself credit for that, and try and get some rest or maybe a bite to eat if you are hungry. Or stick around here...lots of folks to talk with who are doing just fine not drinking. You can do this.

RapidMan 03-18-2017 07:50 PM

Thanks Scott. I think this is what I've been missing in the past, somewhere to talk in these moments where the alcoholic in me is screaming in my head to break down and have a drink

ScottFromWI 03-18-2017 08:19 PM

Someone is almost always online here as there are members from all around the world. There is a chat room to if you'd ever like to try it out. Don't be a stranger!

tursiops999 03-18-2017 09:37 PM

That voice in your head is not your friend! We're here to support you.

I've been through a divorce ... I understand how sad and disappointing it can be. Of course you know drinking won't help... the addicted part of my brain might like to seize on things like this, to get me to drink. But I'm a non drinker now.

Hang around and keep posting! You're among people who care.

MsCooterBrown 03-18-2017 09:44 PM

Divorce always sucks no matter what the reason. No one gets married to get a divorce. But I think if you turn it around you can look at it as a new beginning. A chance to reinvent yourself! Journal. Keep very aware of what you want in life. Sometimes marriage hampers that because we have to take into consideration the spouses needs and wants as well. You now have a clean slate. Make the most of it! :grouphug:

Done4today 03-18-2017 10:06 PM

Stay strong RM!!! we are here for you.

RapidMan 03-19-2017 06:31 AM

Well, made it through the day. Reading your comments really helped.
As PhoenixJ said I got on a distraction program. Since I'm a pretty decent cook, baked all day, so got plenty of pies in the freezer.
As the day went on, the funk diminished, along with the Alcoholic Voice in my head.
Lay in bed now watching TV, drinking a cup of cocoa...how sedentary is that???

Once again thanks a bunch guys, another potential failure of sobriety averted

MrMcTell 03-19-2017 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by RapidMan (Post 6373069)
Well, made it through the day. Reading your comments really helped.
As PhoenixJ said I got on a distraction program. Since I'm a pretty decent cook, baked all day, so got plenty of pies in the freezer.
As the day went on, the funk diminished, along with the Alcoholic Voice in my head.
Lay in bed now watching TV, drinking a cup of cocoa...how sedentary is that???

Once again thanks a bunch guys, another potential failure of sobriety averted

Excellent. :You_Rock_

tomsteve 03-19-2017 06:46 AM

glad ya made it through,RM!
i think weve all had rough mental and emotional days early on. feelings and emotions are going to happen. the only way to learn to is to allow them to happen- learn they can happen and a drink isn't necessary.
im lookin back now and remembering some days back then that were rough. it wasn't too pleasant knowing i drank away the woman i had planned on marrying and spending the rest of my life with. i felt pretty horrible.
yet today im thinkin," that wasn't too bad and glad i allowed em to happen without drinkin. i learned a lot through it all.

the saying
this,too, shall pass
is very true for me.

Hevyn 03-19-2017 02:58 PM

So glad to hear the good news, RapidMan. :) You can do this.

Dee74 03-19-2017 03:07 PM

Glad you got through RM :)

Maybe it would help to try and think of the divorse not as an ending but simply the beginning of another chapter?

D