Notices

Coming out public

Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming out public

Just curious if you guys have been following the debacle of the Redskins GM Scot McCloughan. Years ago he botched several executive positions and was fired due to alcoholism. He was really up front about disease and got help etc. Apparently things did not work out with his present employer and they have been floating rumors that he possibly could be drinking again. It is no wonder that professionals choose to remain closeted with past issues due to possible retribution later on down the line. I have envisioned this scenario playing out in my life as well and it has kept me far more withdrawn on the subject.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my experience, people don't usually come out about having had diseases like cancer, it's a private thing and they don't talk casually about it, certainly they typically don't broadcast the details widely to people they don't know well. And when someone does want to gush over the details, we tend to think, TMI. I don't view alcohol or drug addition any differently, it's not anyone's business unless I choose to discuss it, and I'll only discuss it in any detail with people I know well and have developed a trust relationship with.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Through my drinking years it was no secret that I had/have a problem. I see no reason to shout it from the roof tops that I'm in recovery.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When executives come out publicly such as McGloughan and/or Tiger woods did. They are trying to save what is left. They have most likely burned the house down with all the escape routes they've used.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was a well known drunk purely due to my behavior. I had no need to "come out" as my actions spoke for themselves. I thought no one knew of course, but they all did.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I largely agree on the whole that it is none of anyones business. My thoughts were more along the lines of sabotage on a certain level with regards to careers etc. Without some of this pettiness, I believe we would have more people to hold up as examples. This would facilitate possibly more people getting help. Kind of a shame. I know prior to me putting down the bottle I had a person who stuck his neck out to confide in his journey.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
When executives come out publicly such as McGloughan and/or Tiger woods did. They are trying to save what is left. They have most likely burned the house down with all the escape routes they've used.
That is a great point that I did not consider.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think saying something like, "I don't like what alcohol does to me," is a career killer. There are ways to talk about it without using the word "alcoholic."

No one blinks an eye if you say you're gluten-free. I don't see how alcohol-free is any different, other than the stories we make up in our heads about what others might think.

I had to stop mind-reading. It's exhausting.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would also add that being an active drinking alcoholic is far more likely to kill ones career ( or even take your life ) than being known as a recovering alcoholic. And in in reality, most careers are evaluated by your performance on the job, not your private medical history.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I told only my closest family, and then only after I'd been sober a while so I had some credibility. If anyone asks me now, I just say, no thanks, I don't drink. If they say, really? I say, yes, really! If they go beyond that I tell them they're being rude.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It catches up
Old 03-17-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The McCloughan story is very interesting on several fronts. I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed here more.

First, while nobody knows exactly what happened, there is a significant amount of evidence that his drinking did not interfere with his job performance and that the Redskins used his alcohol problems as a pretext for firing him. If so, I hope he sues their rears off.

Second, McCloughan has a significant history of alcohol abuse. He most likely lost multiple high profile jobs as a result. Yet, before he started his job with the Redskins, he came out publicly and declared that he was drinking in moderation. There was a big article (SI or ESPN) with him contending that he could have just a drink or two and that he was fine so long as he avoided the hard stuff. I actually remember distinctly reading that article and using it as justification for my continued drinking. Of course, anyone on this forum knows that 99 times out of 100, the moderation recipe fails miserably.

Anyway, it is an interesting story to follow. McCloughan seems like a really good guy and he is considered to be absolutely brilliant in his ability to evaluate football players. I hope that he is able to overcome whatever alcohol issues he still has.