Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Have someone else control your money or get kicked out of liqour store ?

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over the years I've quit booze before. Lately tho I sort of wish someone else controlled my money. Also I've imagined going into the liquor store, and smashing a small bottle on the floor, and then paying for it and just explaining now I can't come back, and to call the cops if I do.

I really worry if I had a full time job right now, I'd go right back to drinking way too much again, or more than ever.

Being broke is the best thing for me for a few months right now, after drinking far too much this past 2-3 years when I had a good job.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An alcoholic will always find a way to drink - with money or not.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the owner of one of our drive thru packaged liquor/ Bars. The best investment he ever made he said....Why? Because no matter how bad off anyone is...they always find money for alcohol. I believe this to be true. YOU and you alone are in charge of whether you pick up the vise you are addicted to or not. No one else. Just you.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to wish for those things too - it's a pretty good illustration of how addiction can make us scared of responsibility and can rob us of our self belief and worthiness.

We have the power to help ourselves and effect change.

Don't listen to the voice that tell you you can't do this - you can.

D
Old 03-14-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's true. I always managed to find money and some excuse of why I "had" to go to town when I knew my husband couldn't go with me. The clerks at the store have actually made comments "Oh we don't need YOUR ID, we know you" I grocery shop there with husband on the weekend...so the stares and whispers were very uncomfortable. I work from home and it makes it WAY TOO EASY to "go get the mail" and grab something while I'm home alone and wont get caught. I've started having husband get it, or go with me, so I don't get any opportunities. You can do it Sometimes I'm on this site 20 times a day to keep my self home lol
Old 03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
An alcoholic will always find a way to drink - with money or not.
Not once you recover from alcoholism. I consider myself a recovered, yet uncured alcoholic. I no longer have any desire to drink. I think the original poster should consider getting an AA sponsor and working the 12 steps out of the big book. That is what worked for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah. I hated the whole having to be responsible for myself as well. Thing is, we're too damn sneaky about getting booze for it to work any other way.

Come on Peter Pan. You can do this thing. Wishful thinking just sows seeds of future resentments. Acceptance is one of the best and most effective tools in our armoury.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-17-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The op should get someone to be accountable to. Have them go with you whenever you go out. You are going to eventually have to go to a gas station (beer temptation) a supermarket (wine temptation) or drive past a liquor store (everything temptation). Getting over being able to do those things without purchasing booze is important. In the beginning though, I would not recommend doing it alone.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 6502ASM View Post
The op should get someone to be accountable to.
This is VERY good advice. Being accountable to only myself got me only so far. It's much easier to rationalize "just one, to take the edge off" to yourself than to someone else who knows you have a problem. Getting others involved was the beginning of the end of my drinking.