Notices

Lost interest in everything

Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

In my case, it was the drinking that led to my lack of interest in other pursuits. Once I got sober and had some decent recovery time under my belt, the interests started coming back. Now, I can't seem to find enough hours in my sober day to fit it all in! I'm sure many here have a similar story.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Agree with what others above have already said-----this is something that many of us have in common. Depression itself can make you feel like there is nothing to look forward to, and anxiety can make you look towards the future with dread. Many of us try to self-medicate our anxiety &/or depression with alcohol, but what happens is that alcohol then becomes the only thing we live for.
After you quit drinking, there will be a short period of time where you will think that life looks bleak without alcohol, but it will pass before you know it, and you will start being very interested in life again.
That is what happened to me and many others here.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and depression are undoubtedly BFF. I doesn't surprise me that so many people have responded to your post with similar stories.

The simple truth is that "treating" depression and/or anxiety with alcohol is bound to end in disaster. All that you will do is ramp up your depression and anxiety in the long run and cultivate a worse addiction to alcohol. It is a vicious, vicious cycle.

I am new to sobriety and my current feeling is that I was kidding myself as to the extent to which my years and years of niggling depression and anxiety problems have actually been directly caused by active alcohol addiction. I thought I was "coping as best I could" with my depression and drinking "as a treat to escape now and then" (read: destructively and all the time).

Reading your post was so sad for me, as I wasted so much of life (10 years+) stuck in the same nowhere land you describe. I am currently 52 days sober (having never been able to go more than a few days for 2 years) and cannot believe how much better I am feeling....

My advice is to quit now and quit for good. I've not met one person here who doesn't wish they had stopped sooner.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had to stop drinking to start to enjoy a little bit in life, now. For me it is a daily grind that is very hard work. VERY AND SO WORTH IT.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got plenty of that lolI know what you mean. Since I quit a few months ago I get bored easily when I am at home by myself. My brain feels better at work where I am active and around other people.

I know this is easier said than done for I find myself being somewhat useless on the weekends now, but get involved with something even if its part time work on the side from your normal work job.

If I am feeling down I'll pick up the guitar and that makes me feel good for a bit. Maybe I'll be a blues player I got plenty of that.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by froghat View Post
Yeah, I can see how alcohol is an excuse to get happy as fast as possible with little effort. That being said if I was completely sober, I would probably just lay around miserable all day like I do on working days. I find it depressing that I can't watch a sports game with any excitement anymore.
You don't know what sobriety is, so how can you speculate as to how it would be or what you would do if you were sober?

I'll bet that, if you get sober, you will discover a whole world of opportunities that simply don't exist when you hang around the house and drink.

I certainly did.

My whole world, after work and on weekends, centered around hanging around a tavern and going home and drinking a little more.

It was a small world.

Now, I barely have enough time to take advantage of the opportunities for service that God puts in front of me.

And, oh yeah, I also have a lot of fun attending sports events, musical productions, theatre, reading, exercise and other pursuits.

I hope that you get sober, join us and give it a try.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Loss of interest in things you usually really enjoy could be a sign of depression. Maybe you should talk to your Dr. or counselor or therapist.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Loss of interest in things you usually really enjoy could be a sign of depression. Maybe you should talk to your Dr. or counselor or therapist.
Personally I think hanging out with real friends always uplifts me. I wouldn't want to go tell strangers things that are listening because of the money you give them. Stick to real friends who listen because they care.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome Frog,

I found that I was losing interest in things other than drinking, and was also feeling quite anxious. My anxiety has lessened as my sober time has increased, and I am definitely very involved in different hobbies (some because I end up volunteering or watching my kids in their activities.

I would talk to your doctor about how you are feeling, make sure that you share the amount you are drinking, as well as the fact that you just stopped taking the Paxil.

Your doctor should be able to recommend ideas to stop drinking, I have found this website to be an incredible support. Looking forward to seeing you on here.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ok guys, it's Tuesday and this is usually the night I drink because I'm off tomorrow. I took a nap after work and now I'm just l laying around in bed. I think I can quit, but man I just hate life right now. Meaningless. Just work and then come home to bordom l
Old 03-14-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was very active when younger but slowly gave up all my interests as drink became more important and everything else made space for my full time hobby.

I jokingly called myself the "Used-to Man"...other people told me what they did with their evenings/weekends and I would say "I used to do that".

Sorry, but as this is a forum for Alcoholism I would strongly suggest the drink is causing the listlessness/lack of passion.

If you keep telling yourself you're drinkino because you're listless / depressed. ..You're just lying to yourself.

P
Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Check this out:
What Is Alcohol? Is Alcohol a Drug? Alcohol Content - Drug-Free World

Alcohol is a Central Nervous System Depressant. ..it slows things down, can "settle nerves" in the short term and chronic drinking can cause long term depression.

But everyone knows a few drinks at the start of the night can pick you up and get you partying, right?

Truth is it does both...a stimulant at first and then a deoressant...all linked to the rate we drink at and our tolerance...which changes over time.

Mood is also affected while we withdraw...which can be up to 3 days after our last drink (acute) and longer if drinking becomes a sustained habit.
One of the reasons why Alcohol is so insidious...we don't notice how it really affects our mood...we just continue to drink for the effect we think we will get.

P
Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I used to go to bars, try talking to girls. After 2 years that got me nowhere, and it just became about the drinking. Now I don't even go, just a waste of money and my time.

I have a new hobby, and I now its pointless too in the long run, but its something to do at home.

OP I envy u if u live in or around Chicago, so many more places to go and groups to join. Here, even in a small city, there's next to nothing cool for a geek to do, and there's next to no groups to join.

I'm sick of videogames, I have no social life, women are a waste of time and oxygen at bars.

I should move somewhere new.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Drinking sucked away my motivation to do anything. I forgot all about my interests, passions and hobbies. I had no motivation to engage in any of them. That caused additional depression and isolation which drinking then was used to treat - a viscous cycle.

If you think you have a problem with booze, get some help from someone in the field who can properly diagnose what's up with you. Good luck
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...man I just hate life right now. Meaningless. Just work and then come home to bordom l
Boredom is a state of mind. A form of self-imprisonment where you walk into a cell, close the door, all the time holding the key to the lock in your hand.

You need to do something, even if you don't feel like it. Even if you derive no happiness from it. For in the very action of doing something, you get something from it.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I spent the first few sober months not wanting to do anything, yet at the same time being frustrated I had nothing to do. It eventually changed but it took some time.

Also, anti-depressants did nothing for me for years after multiple attempts while I was drinking every day. Now, 18 months sober, I feel they are helping. or is it just that I am sober? or both. I know I feel great for the first time in over 20 years. I personally don't think anti-depressants can work correctly when your brain chemistry is fouled up with alcohol, a depressant.

I encourage you to join us on our sober journey and work with your physician. Once I got over the thought of having "alcoholic" written in my records, I found it was an immense help. I don't think I'd be sober without my doctor being involved along the way.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I drank so bad that I wanted to sell my guitars. I saw no point in playing (after 35 years of it!?!). Booze makes you lose interest in everything (but booze). You just have to get clear of it for a while to see that.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ok guys, it's Tuesday and this is usually the night I drink because I'm off tomorrow. I took a nap after work and now I'm just l laying around in bed. I think I can quit, but man I just hate life right now. Meaningless. Just work and then come home to bordom l
I'm new here, but just recently quit drinking as of over two months ago. I know the feeling of boredom. Keep at it!! I still think quitting is the best thing I have done!
Old 06-18-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi, extaut. Welcome. You might also check out the newcomers to recovery forum.
Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome extaut - feel free to start your own thread - you'll get more response that way

D