Notices

diarrhea after quitting booze

Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

diarrhea after quitting booze

G'day guys, Im about 2 weeks sober and after about the first week I started getting the runs and they havent let up for about 4 days, has anyone else had this experience?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

i had it a few times while drinking at one point it scared me enough to get my but into the doctor over it cause it just was not letting up. in my case it was nothing. i mean in hindsite its cuase i drank like a fish but other then that nothing was wrong with me.

i'd say go see your doc.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

doctor
Old 03-11-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR and congrats on 2 weeks! GI issues are common but there's no way of knowing for sure what the cause might be without seeing a doctor - if it's concerning to you.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are you eating and drinking now that you've stopped drinking alcohol? A lot of coffee?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mccraggen

It happens to some of us...4 days is a little more than my experience tho.

If it goes or for too much longer, or you're worried, I'd also say see your Doc - get some peace of mind at least?

D
Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mccraggen View Post
G'day guys, Im about 2 weeks sober and after about the first week I started getting the runs and they havent let up for about 4 days, has anyone else had this experience?
You may be eating something that bothers you. But in general for me it took a week just to settle my gut down. It took about a month for me to have normal movements.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, diarrhea was pretty prevalent during my first week of sobriety. After that, it went away. I have a pretty sensitive system and if I drink alcohol, I almost always have several days of diarrhea once I stop.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep. It took my stomach and bowel movements awhile to get "normal." I also went through a pretty brief period of incontinence. That was fun.

My body had major healing to do and I think of it as the alcohol, damage, pain, junk, hurt, everything rolling from head to toe out of my body. It affected pretty much every part of my body at some point.

You can get through it- if you keep not drinking.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Same here, diarrhea after drinking (even the next morning I would have diarrhea), so bad that I could see the food I ate the night before. I would suggest eat fiber (cereal) and some yogurt that has the probiotics in it, I like Fage greek yogurt but there are others. In my opinion i think that the alcohol kills all of the good bacteria in your gut so the probiotics in the yogurts brings them back.

(also I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to give suggestions, please let me know if that's not allowed )
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like to think of it as detox all the bad stuff going where is belongs down the toilet. But seeing a dr is always a wise move.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Getting back on my feet

Yes indeed. I've been alcohol free now for six weeks and I can tell you that it caused me to go back and forth. I had it for weeks sometimes. There would be days I had a bad movement and then in the same day it would be fine. We tore our bodies up and we need to give them time to figure this out without any alcohol.

I also want to say that asking for people's experiences isn't necessarily asking for medical advice. Yes, you should go to the doctor if you feel it's been excessive but all you have to do is ask yourself one question: Was I feeling this way at all before I quit?

This is a personal decision and you know your body more than we do. I can only offer my experience and expect it to help what you are feeling.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same unfortunate experience for me. plus my diet mainly consisted of only alcohol. i barely ate food. It goes away quickly tho; w/ zero alcohol, and decent diet!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm Sorry; i had to reread your dates u have in post. i would think this already would have stopped for U, now. Id keep track now, and keep track of my diet. And/or ask a Dr. if problem persists. Hope u feel better!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go to a doctor.
Runny stool can cause dehydration and make you really sick.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is different for everyone. For instance, I get extremely horrible GI symptoms when I stop for the first four days. Then the shakes start for the next 7-8 days. Then I can write my name again. Anxiety is persistent for much of it especially when I'm still shaking. Insomnia goes away when the GI symptoms subside.

Thus my name. Withdrawals are no fun. But only a doctor can tell you what's going on.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My GI issues lasted a while. I did get a full physical at roughly 30 days from my PCP and again at 6 months.