SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   My beer money now goes to... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/406038-my-beer-money-now-goes.html)

steve-in-kville 03-11-2017 02:02 AM

My beer money now goes to...

(or whatever your poison of choice was!)

Some other threads made me think of this.... the amount of money I spent on liquor is staggering if I run some figures on the calculator. Don't even want to think about what chunk of my weekly budget went to support the Pennsylvania State Liquor Control Board.

So where does that money go now?

1) Appears I am able to stay on top of my monthly bills a lot better.

2) The above said, I have a bit of a cushion under me.

3) Cycling/running gear!! Not a huge expense, but I am able to indulge every once and again.

Who's next?

PhoenixJ 03-11-2017 03:23 AM

:c011:

shortstop81 03-11-2017 04:45 AM

Great thread Steve.

Lego! I say it's for my son, but it's really for me (let's be honest).

Doug39 03-11-2017 08:13 AM

I use this app to find up down to the minute how long I have been sober - you can also put in the amount you spent on alcohol and see how much you saved.

Quit That!

As of the time of this post I have been sober:

198,311 minutes or

3,305 hours or

137.72 days or

19.7 weeks or

0.38 years.

And not counting going out to the bars and just counting what I drank at home I have saved about $1,514.87.

neferkamichael 03-11-2017 08:48 AM

Steve-in-kville, you are FANTASTIC, congratulations. I mentioned in a thread the other day about how I could use that 150 grand I spent through the years. Rootin for ya. :egypt:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...fKH7pQ7tH7lAld

MsCooterBrown 03-11-2017 09:58 AM

What app is that Doug 39?

Clean30 03-11-2017 10:02 AM

It goes to debt for now. In a couple years when I am out of debt I'm banking it so when I get old I have something - I hope. And the little I spend on myself will be a nice little office room setup, new guitar, and some home repairs. If I can manage this its all I can ask for in life.

stargazer016 03-11-2017 10:44 AM

Steve, I too spend hundreds of dollars a month supporting the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board! I am using the extra money for college 529 funds for my kids.

MrMcTell 03-11-2017 10:59 AM

We have a big old barn that needs residing. My plan is to take the some of the booze money each week and buy a couple of pallets of cedar shingles. With an hour's work each weekend nailing them up, I can watch the progress sobriety is giving me from my kitchen window!

least 03-11-2017 11:25 AM

Now that I'm sober, I pay my bills on time and in full. :) That gives me such satisfaction. :)

gregknight 03-11-2017 11:32 AM

Good for you, all! :c011:

No wife, no kids, so I am completely out of debt and spend my old Maker's Mark money on lot's more history books, more huntin' and fishin' stuff, falconry, charitable causes, etc. ; on all the things I robbed myself of when I was too drunk to enjoy them. I'm sure I could make a down payment on a Gulfstream V if I totaled it all that past $$ up.

Harley1973 03-11-2017 11:33 AM

My beer money will go back to working on my hot rods and motorcycles.

zjw 03-11-2017 11:43 AM

At first i noticed more wiggle room in my budget so i'd get little extra things i usually woulda passed on.

then i got out of debt.

But as time went on i got into other stuff and picked up some expensive hobbies.

countless pairs of running shoes i litteraly tossed 3 trash bags full of them away one time I guess thats better then 3 trash bags of beer cans lol. who knows how many thousands of miles

Then a treadmill to support this insanity.

Now i got this whole bagpipe thign gong so I had to buy that etc..

those are big items i guess. the rest was like more books healthier food etc...

I still sit around complaining i'm broke but I guess i got prety interesting thing going.

gregknight 03-11-2017 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by zjw (Post 6363310)
Then a treadmill to support this insanity.

Now i got this whole bagpipe thign gong so I had to buy that etc..

Do both at the same time and post a selfie for us. I would pay money to see that! http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/im...leys/laugh.gif

p.s., in a kilt.

Gilmer 03-11-2017 12:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much did the bagpipes cost?

thomas11 03-11-2017 12:57 PM

Indeed one of the nice side benefits of sobriety is less wasted money. And let's face it, when we are drinking it, its wasting it. At my worst I would buy two 1.75's in a week and I would always order food when drunk. I'd blow through a $100 a week easy. Not any more.

bluedog97 03-11-2017 01:13 PM

When I was a bar drinker and had money, I'd run up a hefty food and bar tab on a nightly basis. As money got tighter, I opted to drink at home - cheap ice beer(for the higher AC) or Evan Williams bourbon.

At 7 weeks sober, my main indulgence with the money saved is eating better. I love to eat, so that works for now.

zjw 03-11-2017 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gregknight (Post 6363324)
Do both at the same time and post a selfie for us. I would pay money to see that! http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/im...leys/laugh.gif

p.s., in a kilt.

ya know that almost sounds like a challenge? HHAHAHA not a bad idea for a youtube video now the wheels are turning in my head. My only concern is the safety i mean it takes a bit of focus to not fly off the back of a treadmill while running but throw in playing the bagpipes too oh and trying to keep it full while playing lol.

I'm gonna maul it over I might try it lol.

zjw 03-11-2017 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6363373)
Just out of curiosity, how much did the bagpipes cost?

It depends what your want to some degree. 800 on up. after all was said and done and i got a case with black wood pipes with engraving and ivory i was out about 1800 bucks. It all starts with a practice chanter tho thats only about 75-100 you learn and practice on that then you get the bag and pipes etc.. So i suppose for a minimal investment one can try there hand at it.

I got lucky on lessons a band here teaches you for free so long as you play with them once your competant in the parades. (spelling on competant lol see what i did there)

Doug39 03-11-2017 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MsCooterBrown (Post 6363181)
What app is that Doug 39?

Click this:

Quit That!